Does anybody here like Chroma Key?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Chroma Key is the project by OSI/ex-Dream Theater keyboardist Kevin Moore, which has released two albums. I had never even thought about checking out Chroma Key before, because I just assumed I wouldn't like it. But OSI has dominated my stereo for almost a year now, and I love it more with each listen. So I finally checked out Chroma Key. You can hear every complete song by Chroma Key at http://www.chromakey.com! I must say, this is some of the most unique and entrancing music I've ever heard. I've really grown to love Kevin's sleepy Peter Gabriel-esque vocals, and his electronic textures are bold and innovative. The music of Chroma Key is truly progressive, but Kevin also shows a deft mastery of infectious pop melodies. Also of note, on the first Chroma Key album, "Dead Air For Radios", my favorite drummer... Fates Warning's Mark Zonder provides percussion! So far my favorite Chroma Key songs are "Another Permenant Address" and "Colorblind".

I enjoy both of the Chroma Key CDs very much, they make great use of Kevin's songwriting abilities and keyboard layering. And as PMF pointed out, his songs are often surprisingly catchy, like on Undertow and Get Back In The Car. Expect lots of new music from him in the near future, as he's recorded a soundtrack and is working on a new CK album.

I have always heard of them but never thought much of giving them a listen. I didn't know it was a Kevin Moore thing. Now that I know that, and one of my favorite DT songs was written by him (Don't Look Past Me) I will check out Chroma Key!

ProgMetalFan said:
Chroma Key is the project by OSI/ex-Dream Theater keyboardist Kevin Moore, which has released two albums. I had never even thought about checking out Chroma Key before, because I just assumed I wouldn't like it. But OSI has dominated my stereo for almost a year now, and I love it more with each listen. So I finally checked out Chroma Key. You can hear every complete song by Chroma Key at http://www.chromakey.com! I must say, this is some of the most unique and entrancing music I've ever heard. I've really grown to love Kevin's sleepy Peter Gabriel-esque vocals, and his electronic textures are bold and innovative. The music of Chroma Key is truly progressive, but Kevin also shows a deft mastery of infectious pop melodies. Also of note, on the first Chroma Key album, "Dead Air For Radios", my favorite drummer... Fates Warning's Mark Zonder provides percussion! So far my favorite Chroma Key songs are "Another Permenant Address" and "Colorblind".
With OSI, I got what I expected. I expected it to be a cross of ChromaKeay and latter era Fates. I dig it, it's alright in my book.

Dead Air for Radios is an acquired taste. I personally love the disc. There's a lot going on and it's pretty well written. The follow didn't do nearly as much for me, but "Another Permenant Address" is the best track from You Go Now. Dont forget to check out the "This is a Recording" demos as well. Well worth it.

Glenn