Does anyone else here not like live albums?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
I must admit, I would never spend money on a live album. To me, all a live album is, is flawed re-recordings of songs with sloppy production and sound quality. Some people might argue that live albums have a certain atmosphere or lively energy, but I just don't see the appeal in them.

Life Sucks said:
I must admit, I would never spend money on a live album. To me, all a live album is, is flawed re-recordings of songs with sloppy production and sound quality. Some people might argue that live albums have a certain atmosphere or lively energy, but I just don't see the appeal in them.

Depends on which genre of metal you mean.. something like Maiden's Live After Death i would.. that was a excellent one but if you mean extreme metal only then i probably wouldnt unless everyone recommended it.. but i think most on this board recommended Mayhem's live one no? ...

Life Sucks said:

Some are cool, some are so fixed-up that they sound like the studio recordings and are not worth buying. Some of my faves include:

Ozzy:Tribute
Pantera-101 Proof(pure whiskey-drenched brutality)
Black Sabbath-Live Evil(you get the whole "there's a little white sheep looking down at me, he said I know where you ought to be"part in the middle of "Heaven and Hell."), which is interesting because you get to hear Dio singing Ozzy-era songs.

WASP-Double Live Assassins-this thing just kills.

Metallica-Live Shit-the versions of Whiplash and Creeping Death are fucking awesome.

Exodus-Another Lesson in Violence-sheer unrelenting brutal fucking thrash.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Depends on which genre of metal you mean.. something like Maiden's Live After Death i would.. that was a excellent one but if you mean extreme metal only then i probably wouldnt unless everyone recommended it.. but i think most on this board recommended Mayhem's live one no? ...

that is only because it includes most of Mayhem's "classics" without Attilla's terrible vocals.

I hate live albums.

MasterOLightning said:
I would buy live DVDs but not live albums. Why would you not want to hear music as it was meant to sound?
isn't music meant to be performed? to see it performed "raw" and without editing, that's the full experience for me. the test that makes or breaks a band. sure, i can play a sick solo and then speed it up, EQ it, do this, do that. but can i do it onstage in one take? thats what impresses me about bands that do the live thing. and live albums do have a certain intensity in them. when the band and the crowd go insane, its worth the money.

Silent Song said:
isn't music meant to be performed? to see it performed "raw" and without editing, that's the full experience for me. the test that makes or breaks a band. sure, i can play a sick solo and then speed it up, EQ it, do this, do that. but can i do it onstage in one take? thats what impresses me about bands that do the live thing. and live albums do have a certain intensity in them. when the band and the crowd go insane, its worth the money.

That's why I go to concerts. Live albums come nowhere near that experience.

Some live albums kick ass, some are crap. I found some bloke on DC a while back with old-ass live material by Legacy, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Blitzkrieg, Assassin, Exodus atc, I love listening to that stuff but pretty much of it sounds like shit and I'm not sure I'd pay for it.

Demiurge said:
that is only because it includes most of Mayhem's "classics" without Attilla's terrible vocals.

I hate live albums.

Yeah Attila's vocals have to be the most horrible vocals i ever heard in any metal genre lol ... I heard he is back in the band... i hope not... they should dig up Dead...

Yeah live albums generally suck, but every once in a while theres a good live album. But then again thats cuz most bands just play the same thing live they play on the album, usually if its changed around a lot its pretty interesting.

I own very few live albums. one of them being Testament's "return to the apocalyptic city" which is fucking awesome. I'd rather buy the DVD than the CD...the only reason I'd want to buy a live cd or something is because I know I'd have no chance on earth of seeing the band live ever (like if it was an agalloch live cd/bootleg thing).

otherwise I see them as rather superfluous