Does anyone else here not like live albums?

I really don't understand what the problem is with live albums around here...I'm honestly ecstatic when I pick up a live album and I hear a fucking stripped down, raw, and awesome performance. And I hear that a lot, because in general, good Metal bands = awesome live albums.

I also think that the more technical a band is, the worse a live album is bound to sound, since it may be hard to hear every note that is played. Another thing I noticed is that most black metal bands don't play live at all. Even though a lot of black metal is raw, for some reason it seems that the black metal atmosphere would be lost in a live performace, perhaps because the live recording adds an element of life to a sound that is generally supposed to be lifeless, dark, and forboding.

I don't care for live albums. If you already have the studio albums, what's the point of buying an album with the same songs you've already heard?

Jean-Pierre said:
I really don't understand what the problem is with live albums around here...I'm honestly ecstatic when I pick up a live album and I hear a fucking stripped down, raw, and awesome performance. And I hear that a lot, because in general, good Metal bands = awesome live albums.

Yeah, really.I love live albums. Sometimes I like a live performance better than the studio version. For example, Judas Priest's "Love Bites" is a weak filler track, IMO, but this high-quality bootleg of the song from 1984 kicks ASS.

http://www.bloodredskies.ca/music/judaspriest/JudasPriest-LoveBites.mp3

Have you guys not heard any live priest, guardian, maiden, kreator, or slayer?

I actually prefer live cds over dvds, I rather relax and pay attention to the music than have my eyes glued to the t.v. The joy i've gotten from live dvds pales in comparison to live cds. The ONLY dvd that ever got me excited was rock in rio(i only have seen about 8 dvds).

live cds kick ass when done right, end of debate.

Live albums fucking rule. You guys are just plain lame.

Unleashed In the East and Live After Death are the canonical example of live awesomeness. The songs are updated from their original forms–faster, heavier, more emotional and generally better. Thrash/speed/classic metal is notable for sounding better live, especially thrash (see: Overkill, Testament, Death Angel.)

I hate live albums; if you want to hear somone live, go to their concert otherwise its a waste of money. Like everyone said it has bad sound quality and generally doesnt sound good. But if you want to waste your money on a live album, its fine with me.

Jean-Pierre said:
Yes. :worship: