Does getting an album early spoil the release for you?

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
I've got a pretty good connection that hooks me up with almost any album I want a few months early. Right now, I'm getting "Damnation," and Soilwork's new album.

Sometimes it's really nice to get stuff early, because by the time the real version comes out for me to buy, the album has already had time to grow on me and I enjoy it more.

But, I do kinda miss the excitement of going to the record store on release day, and buying an album I've been waiting and waiting for, and that first listen...

Sometimes, getting stuff early has the opposite effect. With "Deliverance," I wasn't really able to get into it without the lyrics, and even now, it's not my favorite Opeth album by a long shot.

I dunno. I KNOW I'm not going to be able to resist the temptation to hear "Damnation" now, but I do kind of miss the days when no one could hear the album until the day it was released.

Being in the same situation with getting pretty much all releases long before they are released I have to think about that sometimes.. I dont think I have ever really regretted getting a release early. Its been a long time since I have gone to a store on "release day" to get something. Most things I need to order over the internet anyways, so, its no longer really a "release day" type of thing for me. I do still enjoy it when I do get a CD in the mail and flipping through the booklet when I get it..

I can understand a lot of peoples views with downloading promo's and thinks liek that.. But I look at it, if you get the promo, at least buy the CD when it comes out.. Ive downloaded the new Cradle of Filth, Katatonia, Opeth, Soilwork and a few others as well, Ive got the Cradle and Katatonia on pre-order from the End, and im waiting for the Opeth pre-order to be put up on there as well. I dont really like people that download albums and dont buy them, thats the only thing I dont like about the whole MP3 thing. Running an FTP site myself, I see it all the time with people like that, I do like the fact that I can download an album, see if I like it and either delete it, or go buy it.. But, there arent alot of people out there like that.. I talked to a guy the other day that sent me a list of over 6000 albums on MP3, and he owned like 50 after talking to him.. its kinda sad...

well i guess the issue is moot with me, since i rarely buy albums blindly. purchasing a piece of music you haven't heard before is risky, unless you have deep pockets. being a student, i usually find holes in my pockets. sure, hearing an album for the first time when you buy it is exciting. but with modern day advances such as internet file sharing that can guarantee that you'll never purchase an album you won't like again, the old school alternative is hardly palatable.

Exactly. I cant afford to risking money on potential turkeys. I simply must know if an album is worth it or not. Thus doesnt apply to Opeth though, id buy their albums regardless. Although they have yet to release a shitty album

Angl0fdeath said:
Being in the same situation with getting pretty much all releases long before they are released I have to think about that sometimes.. I dont think I have ever really regretted getting a release early. Its been a long time since I have gone to a store on "release day" to get something. Most things I need to order over the internet anyways, so, its no longer really a "release day" type of thing for me. I do still enjoy it when I do get a CD in the mail and flipping through the booklet when I get it..

I can understand a lot of peoples views with downloading promo's and thinks liek that.. But I look at it, if you get the promo, at least buy the CD when it comes out.. Ive downloaded the new Cradle of Filth, Katatonia, Opeth, Soilwork and a few others as well, Ive got the Cradle and Katatonia on pre-order from the End, and im waiting for the Opeth pre-order to be put up on there as well. I dont really like people that download albums and dont buy them, thats the only thing I dont like about the whole MP3 thing. Running an FTP site myself, I see it all the time with people like that, I do like the fact that I can download an album, see if I like it and either delete it, or go buy it.. But, there arent alot of people out there like that.. I talked to a guy the other day that sent me a list of over 6000 albums on MP3, and he owned like 50 after talking to him.. its kinda sad...

Damn, that's like exactly my situation, and I meant to touch on not being able to go to the store an pick up the CDs on release day. This pretty much ended when I got into underground metal.

I totally agree about buying the albums. I still buy everything I download before it's release, and I also have the new Katatonia, CoB, and Cradle on preorder. I absolutely LOVE the new Katatonia.

I download every album now before I buy it. in my country is imposible to go to the record store and buy the album. I need to order by The End Record in order to get the album. When Deliverance was leaked i get my copy and the I buy the same happen with Damnation.

If I can get a CD early, then I am going to. However, I still plan on buying the CD's that I download, because it's always nice to own the booklets, and case material. Plus I love taunting my friends with the Damnation copy I have. They haven't a clue where I got it, and it's going to stay that way.

I am usually also without money, but when I do have it, it goes to my CD collection, so even if I don't buy an album I like right away, I eventually will, it's just a matter of time.

I prefer to download THEN buy the CD..I always buy the cd if I like a few of the samples, somtimes based upon a bands live per performances and overall rep..
I used to get alot of promos when I was college radio DJ..mp3's are changing the world and are a great way to distrubute a bands music world wide..Some bands DON't have world wide distrubution, and back in the day, those releases were import only and very costly..I don't mind downloading a few trracks before a cd release..I doesn't ruin the experience for me..check mp3.com. for band mp3's..A sample of an artists release is a fair way for the consumer to shop for the best buys there fore it's econmical..However, I support the artist as I go the thier shows, buy t-shirts, buy thier CD's (cheaper from the label) and mechandise..
I have only 50 seconds of Windowpane from Damanation, but have only a 56 K modem and I don't have time to download right now..I'll get around to it, but I WILL buy Damnation when it comes out...Ya gotta support the starving artists..

it's true about it being riskey...you don't really want to waste your money on somehting you're not going to enjoy. when i was a little girl and my daddy gave me lots of money i bought everything...i have a pile of cds that i want to get rid of now because they take up too much space! i always download, and then i always buy the cd when it comes out and support the artists in whatever way, especially with bands that need the support.

I'll admit.. I found D2 on p2p and got a few songs off it. I won't share my opinion on it until I get the cd for real and give it a few hefty spins with my nice headphones.

I had planned to not DL any songs at all, for D1 or D2, but the moment I saw the track names in the search window, my hand involuntarily moved to double-click it! The draw of Opeth is greater than my willpower to resist..

no, not really. i don't feel any novelty in opening a new album and listening to the music for the first time. or to put it another way, i can't wait to download damnation.

I only get leaked CD's if I'm gonna buy them. I don't really grab leaks of stuff that I'm not gonna buy the real thing of when it comes out. Getting it offline makes me want the packaged version even more.

I dont get leaked shit. period. the only thing i get early is an official release i.e. from another country. I hate leaks. they're sooo unofficial, they just have that bootleg feel.