Doing Gang vocals with only one person?

professorlamp

I are Joe
Nov 2, 2009
Wales, United Kingdom
Im planning on doing some gang vocals soon and my nearest friends are 20 miles away so in the weekdays of working/university that just wont happen so what's the best way of recreating it all by myself?

Lots of tracks, don't edit them tightly after, try to at least use a different tone in your voice each time, even if just slightly different and afterwards bus them all to a stereo track with a good verb on it and maybe just slightly pan out some of the vox, no more than 5-10 L & R

That should at least give the illusion of gang vox with no gang

Dude, just post a sample here and the lyrics and ask people to make some recordings. It's done before and I believe the results were great.
I would record some stuff, no problemo!

Excellent...
Would ou apply a slightly different EQ or just leave that out of the question?

I should have mentioned some EQ and then some compression to make it all gel a little bit together and THEN put it through some verb

as for the EQing itself, do what sounds right to you. Personally I would just EQ it as a whole 1st and then maybe a little extra eq after the verb in case its a little too washy sounding

or you can try doing what Forceps suggested and see if anyone will track some extra vox for you

i have done this before, results werent to bad. like skinny viking said, dont make it too tight. pitch shift each voice a few cents, and dont be afraid to make some weird voices lol, its about having a bunch of different voices. Im gonna make a breakdown with gang vocals tonight by myself just for shits and giggles. I will post samples =P

I've done this before and it came out pretty good..is pretty funny trying to do it by yourself cause you have to try and give yourself different tones of voice..cracks me up

Yeah ask others to just record a shout for you and you can download the little wav files.

I did it, it sounded great. Me doing it on my own had an "inbred" sound to it. haha.

Here's what I do:

2x gnarly takes with a good distance from the mic
2x gnarlier takes abnormally close

2x "clayman"-style whispers of the same phrase real close and personal with the mic. These will be layered gently and hard-panned L-R

Ahh and this time I lifted a movie clip of tribal shouts from crocodile dundee to help make me sound like an army ;)) The important thing is to be creative and you will come up with something.

Here's what I'm talking about: My mighty gang shouts EXAMPLE

Bob, don't kill me mang ;)

I think gang vocals with anything less than about 5 people just aren't as good. Not only are they too defined, not white-noisy enough, but the sheer mass of people spurs everyone else on and no-one feels embarrassed. But if you are all you've got.. dunno. Experiment with changing your voice.