Dominium - Psycho Path Fever

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Dominium - Psycho Path Fever
Metal Mind Records - 2002

By Mark Bridgeman

After a cool acoustic opening, with soothing, doomy, mellow vox, Polish extremers DOMINIUM's Psycho Path Fever develops into melodic death with very... interesting lyrics: "Sat on my face waving its cassocks/She did it on purpose/I knew she was without her pants"; and later: "On the shouting crowd/There's nothing to last any longer/There'll be no encore/Fuck you assholes!/No refund for the tickets". Purposely amusing, or something lost in the translation? You be the judge... me? I find it weird in the best sense.

The music, however, is frikkin' awesome. Opeth crossed with Faith No More vox... but sounding not exactly like either band. They've pulled in influences from all ranged of the metal scene - full-on gore with 'Family Fur', Opeth-esque melodies and screams with 'Obsession' (the source of the lyrics quoted earlier). All extreme metal styles, played flawlessly and interestingly. Any fan of extreme metal will find at least one song here that tickles their dark hearts.

The latter half of the album becomes simply frightening. Whispered interludes, like some homesick corpse, cut between solid bricks of guitar-driven brutalness (phew!). But again these tracks are not one-dimensional. They're interspersed with acoustic passages, without betraying the effect of the heavier sections, which is a relief considering some parts of the album almost dwell too heavily on being brutal.

Vocalist Cezar can scream with the best gutteral bellowers, and also sings cleanly in a manner similar to both Danny Cavanagh and Mike Patton. Interesting to say the least. Guitarist Marr is a monster - he can seemingly play anything. The rhythm section of Gethsemane (drums) and Manick (bass) are tight, with the latter putting in some pleasantly intricate patterns.

I had never heard of this band before this album. I will definitely be looking out for future releases, and enjoying this one in the meantime.

8/10