Double Dragon thread

korruption

Amateur Dentist
May 13, 2002
Canada
Anyone else remember this series? I think it bombed in the arcades but was doubtlessly ground/face breaking for its time. It really took off on the NES though. I don't know when (the legendary) Double Dragon 2 will be released for the Virtual Console, but all I can say is it better happen!!

Oh and I also found a hilarious parody on the NES Double Dragon 2 here:

(Sorry if it takes a while to load but it's worth it. The remixed music is fucking amazing too!)
:D

On one final note, has anyone played the fan-made game "Double Dragon Forever"? Let's just say this game--while still in beta--should have been the TRUE Double Dragon 3 for the arcade! I'll post up a link to it when I find a working one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else remember this series? I think it bombed in the arcades
Really? I'd say it was a HUGE hit as an arcade game, but the NES version paled in comparison. I remember being awed by the arcade version...so badass. There was one in a local video rental joint in my hometown...sometimes I'd catch someone dumping an ungodly number of quarters in there and actually getting really far in the game, fun stuff. The hair-pull-knee-to-the-face maneuver was great :)

Well actually I didn't mention that the arcade version of Double Dragon 3 was the one that bombed severely. The only way that game could have been any worse is if you had to put a quarter in just to do a punch.

The first arcade one was ok and I will give it credit that it was legendary, but I found the difficulty a little one-sided; that elbow attack became infamous cause of the challenge.

Double Dragon 2 for the NES was (and perhaps still is) the best fighting game on the NES console. I remember always having a tough time getting that high knee attack to work but it was worth it every time when it connected and sent the poor fucker flying across the screen. Even better is when you can spin kick people off ladders. Never lost its humor. :D

Also, Super Double Dragon (or preferrably "Return of Double Dragon" in Japan, which is better in a few ways if you have an emulator and download the rom) is another one of my all-time favourites. I missed the knee and uppercut attacks, and for some reason; Billy and Jimmy no longer crouched to recover from jumps (course no gripes there). I hope somehow there will be a more modernized Double Dragon to come along and its development isn't handled by some half-assers like the ones who "developed" DD3 for the arcade.

I've been using NESten to play my NES games but it's pretty glitchy and I haven't used it in months. By the way, it seems we're the only two DD fans here (or the only two people who give enough of a shit to talk about it). :(

Ooookay then either there's no option to delete your own threads or I'm retarded. This one just crashed and burned, hard.