Draconian - Turning Season Within

griev0r

Here is Nowhere
May 13, 2007
Florida
Just had a listen to the promo, fucking awesome!! Draconian is one of my favorite bands and this is by far their best work yet! I love the concept of failed relationships and the pain that goes with it, as most people can relate to it. If your a fan of Draconian or doom/gothic metal definitely check this release out, you can hear some samples here. I'm pre-ordering it now.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Season-Within-Draconian/dp/B0012GJEM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1203377456&sr=1-2[/ame]

Summary from their myspace:

In September 2007, DRACONIAN started to record their 4th album Turning Season Within at the Fascination Street Studios in Örebro, with producers Jens Bogren and David Castillo (Opeth, Katatonia), who completed Draconian´s vision of a extensive, weighty and dark sound.

Musically, Turning Season Within sees DRACONIAN speed up the tempo and heaviness a bit, but without leaving their roots or the doomish aspect aside. One reason for this might be that the band felt more inspired by their own countrymen than the old British Doomers or Norwegian Romantic Gothic Metal. On a lyrical level, singer Anders states that it contains the most down to earth and personal lyrics so far and when asked about a central topic, “Failing and hopeless relations within love, and how we deal with it” is the answer. And Anders also gives the answer to people that might think love is a lame subject in heavy dark music like this; “I think it’s really doomy! Pain is a topic that never grows old in musical themes. Some people seem to forget that love can be the greatest hell you have to manage, but still it’s vital to our existence. In this way I think the music with both the harsh and the very soft tender sound at times, fits these lyrics very well. The various tempers define our emotional world, and love is both heaven and hell.”

Great band. Opeth fans should check out this album. The influence is pretty obvious, especially with those mellotron parts (not that Opeth have discovered mellotron of course, but the way they use it on this album makes me think of Opeth). Old albums were more gothic/doom oriented, but this new one has this Opethian feel to it.

Great band. Opeth fans should check out this album. The influence is pretty obvious, especially with those mellotron parts (not that Opeth have discovered mellotron of course, but the way they use it on this album makes me think of Opeth). Old albums were more gothic/doom oriented, but this new one has this Opethian feel to it.

More of a Katatonian feel if you ask me.