DREAM THEATER: Live at Luna Park

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From http://www.bravewords.com/news/198193 :

DREAM THEATER's Live At Luna Park, a live concert captured on two-DVD, Blu-ray, Digital Video, two-DVD/three-CD, Blu-ray/three-CD, and a deluxe edition (two-DVD/Blu-ray/three-CD), will drop in May. To whet the appetite of their fans, the band have released the following trailer:

Live At Luna Park was filmed over two nights in South America -- home to one of Dream Theater's most ardent fanbases. The DVD was filmed after a 15-month world tour, hitting 35 countries.

"This is without a doubt the closest a viewer at home will come to experiencing a live Dream Theater concert," states guitarist and founding member John Petrucci. "Between the hi-def and 3D video, the huge audio mix and the documentary style behind the scenes footage, you are truly transported to the arena and completely immersed in the entire live experience."

"We have the greatest fans on the planet and the people of Argentina are no exception!" adds Petrucci. "The energy and vibe at Luna Park was truly electric and contagious. The perfect synergy between band and audience. We are immensely proud of this DVD and incredibly excited to share it with everyone!"

More details will be revealed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking forward to seeing what songs will be included before I pull the trigger on this one.

01. Bridges In The Sky
02. 6:00
03. The Dark Eternal Night
04. This Is The Life
05. The Root Of All Evil
06. Lost Not Forgotten
07. Drum Solo
08. A Fortune In Lies
09. The Silent Man (with a string quartet)
10. Beneath The Surface (with a string quartet)
11. Outcry
12. Surrounded (preceded by Jordan Rudess' keyboard solo)
13. On The Backs Of Angels
14. War Inside My Head
15. The Test That Stumped Them All
16. The Spirit Carries On (preceded by John Petrucci's guitar solo)
17. Breaking All Illusions

Encore:

18. Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper

August 20, 2012

01. Bridges In The Sky
02. These Walls
03. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
04. This Is The Life
05. Caught In A Web
06. Lost Not Forgotten
07. Drum Solo
08. A Fortune In Lies
09. Wait For Sleep (with a string quartet)
10. Far From Heaven (with a string quartet)
11. Outcry
12. Surrounded (preceded by Jordan Rudess' keyboard solo)
13. On The Backs Of Angels
14. War Inside My Head
15. The Test That Stumped Them All
16. The Spirit Carries On (preceded by John Petrucci's guitar solo)
17. Breaking All Illusions

Encore:

18. Pull Me Under

I wasn't a big fan of their latest effort, but these setlists look pretty awesome. I'd have to actually hear it before I bought it though; I got that Systematic Chaos 2DVD 3CD and wasn't impressed.

Plus it looks like 8 of the 16 songs in each set are played both nights. While it's cool that this has two live sets, at the same time they should've mixed the sets up more; i'm sure most fans would prefer a bit more variety in the sets. I can understand playing the same tracks off their newest album, but they could've mixed up tracks 14-16 from both sets easily (NO TRACKS OFF BLACK CLOUDS?!)

I always look forward to anything that Dream Theater releases. The video and audio quality of the trailer alone makes this appear to be their best live release yet. I'll be purchasing this as soon as it comes out.

As a note to orcslayr23, the band isn't going to release both sets in their entirety. They obviously played a number of tunes twice because 1) Mike Mangini had only learned so much of their material by that point, and 2) they wanted to be able to pick the better performances over both nights to include on the video release. Bands do this sort of thing all the time. That said, I do agree that it's a shame that they didn't include any songs from "Black Clouds & Silver Linings." They didn't play anything off of "Falling Into Inifinity" or "Train Of Thought," either, but there are plenty of previous live recordings of that material.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Another plus is that it will likely look better since the control freak Portnoy is no longer there to oversee and edit their concert films. While I never thought he did a horrible job, I am sure it will be much better with a professional handling those duties.

Another plus is that it will likely look better since the control freak Portnoy is no longer there to oversee and edit their concert films. While I never thought he did a horrible job, I am sure it will be much better with a professional handling those duties.

I would bet money on it if Portnoy had still been in the band the two setlists would have varied greater with fewer repeats.... I base this on his track record.

Score and Budokan look great. There's no reason to bash MP on those. And yeah, the setlists would've been almost completely different.

I'm going to get the blu ray the day it comes out.

Dream Theater shows in South America are something else entirely. Worth it alone.