dream theater under a glass moon solo

durring the solo between 5:18 - 5:27 min he does this wierd noise and my guitar teachers, guitar playing friends, and i cant figure out what he is doing. i have also heard this noise being played on the children on bodom "follow the reaper" on the last 2 or so tracks and on the derek sherinian's "black utopia" on the begining of track 4. can anyone help me out cause i really wanna be able to do that. also i recently got a new guitar with a free floating tremolo and i would like to learn some cool tricks i could do with it. thanks in advance.

This is just a theory, but he could be playing two notes at those points, but the pitches are so similar (perhaps off by a quarter step or something) that they create a violent vibrato. I never looked at the tab, so I could be wrong. Other than that, I got nothin...

theunforgiven246 said:
durring the solo between 5:18 - 5:27 min he does this wierd noise and my guitar teachers, guitar playing friends, and i cant figure out what he is doing. i have also heard this noise being played on the children on bodom "follow the reaper" on the last 2 or so tracks and on the derek sherinian's "black utopia" on the begining of track 4. can anyone help me out cause i really wanna be able to do that. also i recently got a new guitar with a free floating tremolo and i would like to learn some cool tricks i could do with it. thanks in advance.

This is pretty much my favorite Petrucci solo in the whole catalog of his playing. I can help you with this one...

That "noise" is made by gently pulling on he arm of the tremolo and allowing it to release through your fingers after playing a note. This causes the tremolo to oscilate rapidly as it settles back down - thus creating the wild vibrato effect you hear. This trick was very big in the 80s metal.

And guess what?? This is one of those cool tricks you wanted to learn that uses your floating system. Floyd Roses do it well. The tremolo on my MM Petrucci does it well too.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

theunforgiven246 said:
i'm tryin it as i type, but it just not as strong as his.

Cool! Try doing without typing at the same time. You may find it a little easier! :Spin:

You'll get it, just keep practicing. Make sure the note you are trying to do that to is played strong enough. That will help.

theunforgiven246 said:
what is the proper way of holding the bar? cause the way i'm doin it makes my pinky hurt a little and i'm guessing thats bad.

I pinch it between my thumb and index finger. After I've pulled up a bit, I release some of the pressure and let it slip between those two fingers. I don't involve my pinky at all with this.

Rick Pierpont said:
This is pretty much my favorite Petrucci solo in the whole catalog of his playing. I can help you with this one...

That "noise" is made by gently pulling on he arm of the tremolo and allowing it to release through your fingers after playing a note. This causes the tremolo to oscilate rapidly as it settles back down - thus creating the wild vibrato effect you hear. This trick was very big in the 80s metal.

And guess what?? This is one of those cool tricks you wanted to learn that uses your floating system. Floyd Roses do it well. The tremolo on my MM Petrucci does it well too.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Yeah, I think Vai does it alot

Rick Pierpont said:
I pinch it between my thumb and index finger. After I've pulled up a bit, I release some of the pressure and let it slip between those two fingers. I don't involve my pinky at all with this.

i actually press it down instead. i push i down with my 3,4 & 5 fingers and then slide the fingers of the bar (in the direction of the headstock). but i guess you should use whatever you feel is right.

I orient the trem bar 180 degrees from the neck (pointing backwards). I strike the node, then smack the trem bar fairly hard. It takes some practice to get it sounding musical. Good luck.

Depress the bar and then let go and let the springs snap the bar up. I find it best accomplished by using m and i to depress the temolo at the very end of the bar and then letting the two fingers slide off the top of the bar. Cool effects and Petrucci does it quite a bit during his live solos - check the videos.

The bridge can make a difference. For instance, the floyd copy on my BC Rich is pretty lame IMO. The original floyd or something that is similar will make it easier to do. And I have done it both ways up and down. I think on the Live in Tokyo video, he goes down. To emulate, I pretty much just slap the tip of the bar with the edge of my palm and pull it away quickly to the bridge will vibrate freely and produce this "warble" sound.

mrichman said:
I orient the trem bar 180 degrees from the neck (pointing backwards). I strike the node, then smack the trem bar fairly hard. It takes some practice to get it sounding musical. Good luck.
this man speaks truth.

just be careful not to smack it too hard, you'll get the effect but you don't want to go way out of tune.

how can i do that flutter thing for a longer duration. maybe i'm missing something or i'm stupid (and that is probubly it o_O ), but can someone who can do it really well post a vid or link to a vid where you can really see what you/the guitarist is doing? thanks, also i think i will be going to see vai sometime in april, hopefully i can learn something from him :headbang: .

mrichman said:

This method is slightly differen than Petrucci's method, since this method will first raise the pitch of the note as you hit the bar down (oriented backwards) and then the springs will snap the pitch back down and warble (physics majors will know this as damping - the damping can be rather underdamped if your springs are loose, allowing more "flutter" around the pitch center, or overdamped if your springs are tight, allowing less flutter). Petrucci orients the bar forward and pushes down, thereby decreasing pitch first and allowing the springs to snap the pitch up.

For examples of this technique, check out any Dream Theater live video. Petrucci flutters often in off-the-cuff solos.