circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Dreamland – Future’s Calling
Dockyard 1 – DY100200 – November 21st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

skiva.jpg

With cover art like what you see in front of you, a name like Dreamland, and an album title like Future’s Calling, could this be anything but blackened goregrind? Yes. Yes it could be, and it is in fact power metal of an average variety. Perhaps for a debut this is a decent showing, though veteran consumers of the subgenre will probably push this away in favor of something more innovative and refreshing.

Similar to myriad groups out there, these Swedes have a few names they can drop. Vocalist Joacim Lundberg, under a pseudonym, spent a month in Dream Evil, and co-producers included Andy LaRocque (King Diamond) and Joacim Cans (Hammerfall). If your conjecture states that Future’s Calling sounds great all around, then you’d be correct. In-depth assessments aside, Dreamland pass the musicianship test, but the songwriting evidently sprained an ankle in one of the formulaic potholes that riddles the stylistic road. Though “Hearts Like Lions,” “Future’s Calling,” and “Breaking the Chains” are catchy enough, not much else can touch ‘em. “A New Way” has a Balance of Power (Ten More Tales of…) feel to it during the chorus, although it’s understandably less progressive in scope. “The Chance (Intro),” “Fade Away,” “Blank Mind,” and “Repeating Supremacy (Outro)” – the two in the middle being ballads – are of little significance, adding yet more filler to an otherwise average release. By this point, however, if you’ve followed my reviews for a while, you’ll know that power metal ain’t my thing. Still, I like to think I’m capable of appreciating above average power metal such as Dungeon and, uh, I think it’s time to insert a period.

Anyway, Dreamland have risen to the challenge of including every PM element that a disc like Future’s Calling requires to be considered an entry into said subgenre. At 50 minutes and 13 tracks, only the hardcore should give this more than a passing glance. It’s not exceptional by any means, but I suppose – in the same breath – it’s not too shabby either.

5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Dreamland Website
Official Dockyard 1 Website