Drum Help !

What are you doing as a starting point? A lot of the time when you've hollowed out the drums to stop being muddy, they also start to sound a bit thin. This is normal with raw drums! You compensate for it by slamming ridiculous amounts of lows back into them.

The low-shelf is your friend!

Sorry I'd be more specific, but I gotta get back to writing this guitar mixing tutorial.... its getting much bigger than I thought.

What are you doing as a starting point? A lot of the time when you've hollowed out the drums to stop being muddy, they also start to sound a bit thin. This is normal with raw drums! You compensate for it by slamming ridiculous amounts of lows back into them.

The low-shelf is your friend!

Sorry I'd be more specific, but I gotta get back to writing this guitar mixing tutorial.... its getting much bigger than I thought.

mate its all good, I've been asking my mrs "having you seen my balls" it's was pretty funny here, today :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll fiddle around with it for another year or so and eventually get there

All the best with the tutorial, it will be awesome

My opinion would be slam these drums hard. Do you have samples of this kit because i would love to toss some of these samples into one of my mixes and see what happens. Also i am trying to get some natural drum tones myself, and the drums sound awesome, they just lack the processing to get them fuller. Some details would help. I own a nice kit but my mic selection is not great

The main tom mics were samson mics + 421 for the floor
Snare was a sm57
Overheads were Sonys
Kick I cant recall but I know it wasn't a D6

The desk was Harrison

There was no processing on the recording

I've got some raw tracks I can share, I didnt get single hits though :( which was really stupid..

I'm really happy with the raw tone, I'm just learning a bit about how to process drums for the metal tone, I've got producers that can do all that, its just a learning exercise for myself, one which I'm really enjoying the journey of just learning....but for final product I'll leave that to the professionals

DSCN1175.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg