Drum mic set!

AaronDylan

another diamond recording
Feb 18, 2011
munich germany
I´ve been barrowing drummics for recordings and now it´s time to get my own! To start id like to have a drummic set so i can rightaway mic the whole set! what do you think? i got 450 dollars to spend

any suggestions

Depends on how many toms you have, if you want to mic the snare bottom, if you're going to close mic any cymbals etc. I don't think you'll get very far with 450$, perhaps a bunch of SM57s and a kick mic, you'll probably want to go used if you can't extend your budget any more.

Well I guess you know the "classics" in the budget and project studio area:

kick: akg d-112 / audix d6
snare: shure beta57 / sm57 / beyerdynamic m201 / audix i5 / e906
toms: md421 (well.. they're too expensive for your budget obviously), sm57
OH: rode nt-5, oktava mk 012-01, beyerdynamic mce-530

hey i was thinking to get the samson set but i never heard how they sound!
I thought it was maybe better to get drummics step by step used from ebay?? i see cheap stuff on there so i will maybe have better sounding mic´s but used.. really don´t know jet

set of 3 sennheiser 604s, a 57, and an audix d6... 450 is really not enough for a decent drum mic set, because you still need a decent set of overheads to accompany that

I'd save up and spend more to begin with rather than buy junk that you're just going to replace later

set of 3 sennheiser 604s, a 57, and an audix d6... 450 is really not enough for a decent drum mic set, because you still need a decent set of overheads to accompany that

I'd save up and spend more to begin with rather than buy junk that you're just going to replace later

Agreed. Get some decent stuff, it'll cost you a lot more in the long run if you eventually want/have to upgrade.

ok your right! so i´ll save up some more! what about used mic´s good or bad expirence?? because i´m seeing some awsome deals on ebay like sennheiser e604 geting sold real chep so i could at least save a few dollars on the individual mics..

^ I disagree. I think it would be great that you bought mics, because not only will you learn how to get a good sound out of drums with what you have, you'll be able to replace them later anyways if they don't work out. I'd say start with buying some used Rode NT5's, which will run you 250-300$ or so, then slowly add a bunch of SM57's to the list. Make sure they aren't fake if you're buying used.

i still reccomend the Samson Q kit drum mic set, absolutely love them for the price, The kick and SDC's sound great IMO, nice starting point to at least get some good sounding drums!! i still use parts of my kit!

Pretty much this.

I bought this set about 7 years ago, and for the price it isn't bad at all, the clips on the tom mics are shit and fall to bits if you let a drummer near them, but cant go wrong really.

my set survived hundreds of gigs in shitty venues and still work.

Pretty much this.

I bought this set about 7 years ago, and for the price it isn't bad at all, the clips on the tom mics are shit and fall to bits if you let a drummer near them, but cant go wrong really.

my set survived hundreds of gigs in shitty venues and still work.

agree on everything dude, the clips are a bit shite like, i have one that has snapped!

I'd say buy used and go for decent stuff that will last you forever. I'm particularly partial to Audix I5's on snare and toms. SM57's work too but there's lots of fakes on ebay so I wouldn't really want to buy them used.

+1 to a bunch of 57's. Shure makes a kit that is pretty much that and you essentially get the drum mounts for free which are pretty decent.

I actually have been using the PG set of drum mic's that I got as a kit ages ago for live use. In a good room, they actually sound pretty damn good and can take even more of a beating than a 57 when hit with a stick.

But when trying to get a kit up and running quick, I can clip those on and be ready to rock and not have to futs with boom stands and such....