Drum software?

Lee_B

Readin' me posts are ya?
May 16, 2001
Surbiton. The Posh bit
www.elitistrecords.co.uk
My beloved Drumsite software hasn't worked since I upgraded my XP to SP2, so I'm now in the market for drum software. So far I've narrowed it down to NI's Battery 2, Meshuggah's "Drumkit From Hell Superior" & FXpantion's BFD.

Ease of use is a big consideration. I hate steep learning curves, and I hate manuals even more :)

Which is the best of the three?

Lee

If you need to use your own samples (like if you recorded a drummer and want to use those custom samples instead, or even import any wav file) I would definitely tell you to go for Battery. Very easy to use, very powerful... The only think I don't like about the 2nd version of it is that you can't tell how many outs you want, this means that you'll end up with 32 outs (8 stereo and 16 mono) even if you only use one mono out for the kicks for example...

Battery 2 comes bundled with 4 kits along with being a sampler in itself. The DKFHS comes bundled with Kompakt, which is sort of a scaled down version of NI's Kontakt. I think the DKFH series have a signature sound and one that's hard to get rid of, despite all the EQing.., especially with how those cymbals sound. There's just something very tinny and weak about them. Actually there's just something off about the whole original DKFH kit.

I've heard some Battery kit samples and I'd say go with that. Battery 2 all the way.

I just bought dkfh superior and I reckon its tops.

Ive used fruity loops and shit like that before but I just love the sound dkfh-s has (except for the kick drums they suck balls). You get all the cymbal bleed and shit like when you mic a real kit. Every mic is exported to a separate wav file.
I was expecting a steep learning curve for it since I really didnt know shit about midi but it was a piece of piss to learn.

Hewy80 said:
I just bought dkfh superior and I reckon its tops.

Ive used fruity loops and shit like that before but I just love the sound dkfh-s has (except for the kick drums they suck balls). You get all the cymbal bleed and shit like when you mic a real kit. Every mic is exported to a separate wav file.
I was expecting a steep learning curve for it since I really didnt know shit about midi but it was a piece of piss to learn.

I am still figuring how to use DKFH... :cry:

Andy Sneap said:
Lee Im using battery, if you're comin over for Biomechanical I'm give you a demo

Cheers. I'll be up on the 22nd for a couple of hours or so before hitting the pubs of Nottingham. Can you email me directions?

I nearly bought Battery 2 in Turnkey Soundhouse yesterday. The sales guy couldn't tell me what the differences between Battery 1 & 2 were, so I was loathe to fork out an extra £60 for the new version when the old one might well be just as suited to my needs.

I just read a review for BFD in SoS. It looks pretty good too, though maybe a bit too thorough.

Lee

Hewy80 said:
Yeh is that dkfh the original? I have the newer one which pretty much sets itself up for you. All you have to do is tell it when you want the particular hit to happen.

I'm using DKFH2. Well, by truth I've not really trying very hard on it and still using battery. :D

Need more time...need more time... :loco: Any online tutorials I can peek into?

Moonlapse said:
Battery 2 comes bundled with 4 kits along with being a sampler in itself. The DKFHS comes bundled with Kompakt, which is sort of a scaled down version of NI's Kontakt. I think the DKFH series have a signature sound and one that's hard to get rid of, despite all the EQing.., especially with how those cymbals sound. There's just something very tinny and weak about them. Actually there's just something off about the whole original DKFH kit.

I've heard some Battery kit samples and I'd say go with that. Battery 2 all the way.

Yeah really...just check out this drum solo thing made entirely in DFH...sounds like crap if you ask me....NOT! All raw samples, give it a listen. DKFH is probably *THE* best thing you can get right now for rock/metal and jazz. Their jazz kits, which are included with DFHS are superb. Hard to beat. Just listen to the mp3...

Drum Solo with DFHS

To hear it with guitars and stuff check this one out...

DFHS with guitars..

Don't listen to people, listen to the samples! Latah.

~006

Also...DFH2 is NOTHING like DFHS...DFH2 is scaled down way too much. And it's made by EastWest...not ToonTrack. ToonTrack made DFHS, EW made DFH2 using a bunch of the samples from DFHS....but only the rock kit. No jazz or percussionist samples. Latah.

~006