Drum tracking question

Ryaaanasaurus

New Metal Member
Apr 15, 2011
Hey guys ive read these forums for a while. But this is my first official post.

I've done a search and didn't really come up with much. I'm finally getting into acoustic drum recording a bit- I've always used a dd1 kit with superior drummer with great results. A band I am about to start tracking wants a less synthetic sound so we plan to mic the kit, along with triggers on snare, kick, and toms for sample blending with aptrigga. I have a couple questions.

First of all- overheads, I was thinking spaced pair L & R. For those mics would a couple Samson CO2's do the job. I've yet to attempt using them for cymbals but when I got them a while back- it was what I intended to use them for. Then I was thinking of mic'ing the hi hats and ride. Or would the overheads work better for capturing them?

I thought about using a LDC in the corner of the room
For ambience and room sound. Would this suffice? I have several to choose from.

The drums are set up in a 10x10 reasonably treated room, currently.

Oh yea. The band is kind of a melodic ambient metal core sort of deal.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. Just looking to get a nice all around big drum sound. Thanks guys

I've actually read the guide, but thanks nonetheless. I guess I was mostly curious if anyone had luck using the CO2's for overheads and got a good sound. Then was explaining my whole process as some like to know specifics before responding to some posts.

Thanks for the help

I'll just say, if you are to mic the snare, check the polar pattern of the mic(s), and try to place it so you have the least HH bleed on your snare track(s). It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

I've actually read the guide, but thanks nonetheless. I guess I was mostly curious if anyone had luck using the CO2's for overheads and got a good sound. Then was explaining my whole process as some like to know specifics before responding to some posts.

Thanks for the help

I have used the CO2's and they work great

I'll just say, if you are to mic the snare, check the polar pattern of the mic(s), and try to place it so you have the least HH bleed on your snare track(s). It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

I had actually thought about this. I considered micing the bottom
Of the snare and blending with a nice fat snare sound- but I haven't really decided the approach I'm going to take yet.

I prefer to spot mic my cymbals. at least on the last 2 cd's Ive done.

But definitely close mic your ride and hi hat. it gives you that extra bit of control. if your OH's don't cut it and you want more ride you can bring the ride mic in. you will barely use your hi hat mic I'm guessing but it's still great to have to define its space in the stereo field.