Drum tuning for the annoyed guitar player?

pariah223

New Metal Member
Feb 18, 2012
I seem to have a history of being in a band with drummers who do not know a thing about how to tune there drums. I am currently in a band with an excellent player, but he has the attention span of a fly so he half asses his tuning. I am looking to learn how to tune drums, not only for the band im in now, but because i plan on getting into recording, and from what i have read, knowing how to tune drums is crucial to recording because theres so many half ass drummers out there. I have done some google research on drum tuning, but every site says something different, so i wanted to throw it at you guys and see if anyone else who is not a drummer, has taught themselves to tune kits properly and could share there resources. I cant be the only one who deals with this!

Man, I'm the drummer in a band and don't have the slightest clue on how to tune my drums. I know I should probably learn, but after watching shit loads of videos on the subject, I've really came to the conclusion that it's not something you can just learn watching videos. It takes a load of trial and error to get it down, and then it's pretty much down to personal preference. There's a new drum tuner that came out during this years NAMM that I'm probably gonna consider purchasing, it looks pretty kick ass.

http://youtu.be/LlcBmEPgop4

Definitely get the DrumBot. It's changed my life in two days. I'm an engineer and can tune a kit, but it takes forever and I've never been totally comfortable doing it. The DrumBot works more like a guitar tuner, it's insanely fast and easy to use compared to every other method of drum tuning I've ever used (besides letting my drum tech do it).

Drum tuning is not really an exact science, you just kinda get each head in the ballpark and generally try to kill shitty overtones. When you stick a mic on a drum those shitty overtones are going to RUIN EVERYTHING.

A friend told me about moongel for those overtones
But My local gc doesn't carry it.. So I'm looking into creative solutions