Drums during mixing stage, before bass and guitars.

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I've been having trouble with the loudness of my drums. How loud should they be before I start tracking bass and guitar? If I solo my drum buss, where on the meter should it be hitting (about)? What about after mastering?

well when i track guitars the drums are just at unity with cymbals pulled down just a lil bit, then i track guitars and bass, its really to taste when tracking, if you have good monitors all you have to do is turn em up(drums dont need to be booming yet) as soon as your tracks are all recorded and edited, take the bass guitar solo it and slam it with a limiter to -18 rms then put the kick just over it(use your ears) then one guitar track then the OHs then the toms then other guitar track then vocals, this works for me,...

thats the mixing part of it all, mastering is seperate. once you finish this stuff and are happy with the mix, you can apply mastering plugs, theres a bunch of people using ozone, waves plugs like L3,L2. basically you use a limiter to bump up the volume, make sure your not clipping the master though, again use your ears not just meters

I track everything at -18dBfs and then come mixing doesn't really matter where you put anything as long as you're not clipping. Its purely to taste; where you think it sounds good is the right place for it to be.

Thats after mastering though. Your mix should never be ANYWHERE near that loud. You'll never be able to master it correctly.

This is something I see constantly.
There's no magic number for what level your guitar/bass/drums/mix should be sitting at.

Record your tracks at an average of about -18dBfs so you dont have to pull down all your faders at the very start of the mix. Listen to your tracks and turn them up or down until they're balanced without being excessively loud (clipping) or quiet at the master bus.

This is something I see constantly.
There's no magic number for what level your guitar/bass/drums/mix should be sitting at.

Record your tracks at an average of about -18dBfs so you dont have to pull down all your faders at the very start of the mix. Listen to your tracks and turn them up or down until they're balanced without being excessively loud (clipping) or quiet at the master bus.

thanks for the advice. really helped.