Dual rectifier clips with 4 different mic preamplifiers

Chthoniangod

New Metal Member
Feb 16, 2006
hi, today i recorded 4 clips with same guitar same amp (DUAL RECTIFIER) same pedals same mic but 4 different mic preamplifiers.
the pre's are:
TLAUDIO IVORY 5001
PREAMPLIFIER OF TASCAM M-30 MIXER (OLD 80'S MIXER I FOUND)
A BEHRINGER ADA8000 PREAMPLIFIER (THE CONVERTER)
TASCAM FW-1884 PREAMPLIFIER (INTO ADAT CABLE)

4 tracked

CHAIN:
Kramer baretta with quadrails pickups, maxon od808, dual rectifier 2 channel from '93, thd hotplate, carvin legacy cab with v30, sm57 slightly off axis
the sound you hear is absolutely NOT PROCESSED IN ANY WAY no eq no compression no limiting
what are your impressions, what do you like more?, i find that the tlaudio is the most 3dimensional and cool, the tascam 1884 is the second (it's a pity thats a little bit noisy) the tascam m-30 the third and the ada8000 the last...
what do u think about?

THE FILES:
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=DUAL+RECTIFIER__2006-02-22_TLAUDIO_IVORY_5001.mp3
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=DUAL+RECTIFIER__2006-02-22_TASCAM_M-30_MIXER.mp3
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=DUAL+RECTIFIER__2006-02-22_TASCAM_FW-1884_PRE.mp3
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file=DUAL+RECTIFIER__2006-02-22_BEHRINGER_ADA8000_PRE.mp3

You have to wait 30 sec to download after the timer on the right finish
bye

I've made a SoundClick page for your clips so people can just stream the damn things immediately. HERE.

The way I listened was blindly. I just downloaded your clips, and renamed them all "Pre 1", "Pre 2", etc, and I made sure to have their ID tags show which pre it was, but only if I opened up that window. I listened to all four over and over again. I honestly didn't remember which one was which just by listening. When I was done, I decided on pre 2 and pre 4, which were the TLAudio and FW1884. My first impression of the TLAudio pre was that it sounded very good dry and unprocessed. Very badass sounding. Now listening to the M-30 pre, it's kinda simlar to the TLAudio, but has it's own character. The Behringer ADA8000, well, I would say it's great but you have all these other pres laying around that already sound great, why let them sit there to collect dust? The FW1884 sounds reallllly good, I like that one a lot.

I would say it's a toss between the TLAudio and the FW1884. They might even be blended well together, two tracks 5001 two tracks 1884. I bet that would be the shit, the TLAudio has this top-end end grit that I really like. The 1884 is kinda a little smoother, but only by a slight touch. :)

~006

Grr..

Look into a better hosty. I would love to listen but I am not going to wait 30 seconds times 4.

30 x 4 = 120 seconds. That's twice the amount of time it takes Nicolas Cage to steal a car.

BTW, thats a badass sound you got there :). Makes me proud of my Dual Recto I bought years ago.

ETHER- I put his clips on a SoundClick page, check my post for the link!

~006

006 good on you... chthichiangod should update his orig so others can hear.

after 2 quick spins on each, the tlaudio "seems" to be my favorite. I heard a digi pop/click with the tascam fw.

The diff's are NEGLIGIBLE at this point. I'd like to hear bare guitars from the tlaudio and the m-30 in an A/B.. that would be interesting.

That M-30 is considered "vintage" by todays standards.

Great thread. Quick question.
My band is going to start recording soon. with very little gear and well....it seems that the BEHRINGER ADA8000 is the worst of all these choices and....ofcourse that is the only pre amp that is available at our "studio" but how important is the pre amp? would a sm57 straight into a digi002 be any worse than going through the Behringer?

yeah the tlaudio is my best choiche, the fw1884 is second. BUT listen carefully to the m-30 tascam mixer, even if it's mid-trebly voiced (thing that i don' really like) listen to its behaviour on palm mutes, to me it's chug chug more that the others in some way, i like that so much!!! it has something the others don't have ... don't know what, but the chugs are better in some way... if i could i'd use tlaudio for normal notes and tascam m-30 for palm mutes hehahha, but that of course is MADNESS...

For them who are interested in the tascam m-30 mixers, iv' seen so many times around in the internet for something like 55$, the mixer has 8 pre with direct outs, double parametric eq plus one fixed for the highs per channel... i think that's better sounding than anything behringer (used of course.. that vintage shit is no more in production hehe) in that price range(wich i always find to sound too "dull") for much more money

m30.jpg

m30-back.jpg

batlas said:
...ofcourse that is the only pre amp that is available at our "studio" but how important is the preamp? would a sm57 straight into a digi002 be any worse than going through the Behringer?

What are you fucking kidding me?

Lets see...Behringer ADA8000 retails for $299.99, the Digi002 retails for $1,200 for the rack version, the one with the faders costs substantially more. Let's toss out the notion that cost doesn't mean better, because in this case, it does. You can't tell me that a $300 Behringer unit is going to sound better than say...a $4,000 API setup, it costs more for a reason. IMO DigiDesign's stuff is overpriced, but in this case, it's not overpriced, it's just priced accordingly to the quality. So...the Behringer is equipped with "studio grade IMP mic preamps", wtf are these? Digi002R has 4 high-quality Focusrite mic pres. I've worked with Behringer stuff, and I've worked with a Digi002R (in fact I own one), and you have to be joking if you're *wondering* if the Digi002's pre's would be any worse than the Behringer pres. Dude, save the cash, go buy a 002R, and be a much happier person.

The mic pre is VERY important. You have to kidding about this as well. How is it not important what your mic'ed signal goes through? Depending on the mic preamp, you could either have a muffled dark sound, a bright crisp sound, a sound with smooth highs, or with harsh highs, great midrange, horrible midrange, lot's of bottom-end warmness or it'll be brittle...I mean it can range from one or all characteristics of a mic pre being bad for using on guitars, to one or all characteristics of a mic pre being perfect for guitars, depending on the preamp. Your mic pre has to be just as important as the placement of your mic. I mean, if thats what you've got, then thats all you can use, but if you have a bunch of different preamps, then after working with them and experimenting, you'll find that you like certain ones for certain applications.

Say you have 5 different preamp units, not in one thing like the Behringer, etc., but rather 5 different rackmount units, all different manufacturers, some tube, some solid state. Preamp #1 sounds amazing for snare drums and guitar cabinets. But when you use it on vocals it's horrible, no matter what you try. Preamp #2 is perfect for vocals and hi-hats on a drum set, but you hate the way it doesn't have enough low-end response for a bass guitar. Preamp #3 is your dream kick drum preamp, you love the way it sounds, but nothing else sounds good coming through it. Preamp #4 is perfect for overheads, you almost cream yourself everytime you hear those cymblas splashing through this one, and sometimes you can get guitars to come through well on it, sometimes you can't. Preamp #5 seems to be a great tom mic pre, but doesn't do as good as #3 for kick drums, but does close to the same as #1 for snare drum, but can't do guitars as well for some reason.

These are actual flavors of preamps here, real-world experiences. Depending on the mic pre, it's not always suitable for general applications. Some mic pres just OWN for distorted guitars, some blow for distorted guitars.

Point being, the mic preamp you pick and use is one of the most important peices of the signal. And an SM57 straight into a Digi002 would be wayyy better than going through the Behringer. :)

kev - Sadly, no, that *is* the Rectifier sound. You can get kinda close, but not identical. Try to get ahold of Mr. Sneap or Mr. Murphy as I believe one of them stated before that they could dial in a 5150 to sound like a Recto, almost certain it was Mr. Sneap. I personally can't get my 5150 to sound like a Recto, nor do I want to, I have both amps so I'd rather just use my Recto to get that sound. :p

~006

006 said:
Sadly, no, that *is* the Rectifier sound. You can get kinda close, but not identical. Try to get ahold of Mr. Sneap or Mr. Murphy as I believe one of them stated before that they could dial in a 5150 to sound like a Recto, almost certain it was Mr. Sneap. I personally can't get my 5150 to sound like a Recto, nor do I want to, I have both amps so I'd rather just use my Recto to get that sound. :p

~006

When i get the money to afford one of these beauties im going down town to plug em in. In the mean time... i'll just have to hone my guitar skills

Rectos are mean sounding amps. Very scooped sound naturally, which is a great thing when paired with a 5150. The 5150 has that huge midrange presence, and smooth highs. The Recto, when layered with a 5150, adds that scooped tone, and gritty highs, makes for a very nice guitar tone when blended together. My favorite two amps to do that with, :).

~006

006 said:
Rectos are mean sounding amps. Very scooped sound naturally, which is a great thing when paired with a 5150. The 5150 has that huge midrange presence, and smooth highs. The Recto, when layered with a 5150, adds that scooped tone, and gritty highs, makes for a very nice guitar tone when blended together. My favorite two amps to do that with, :).

~006

I'd probably piss myself or something if i found myself in a room with a 5150 and dual rectifier :ill:

Thanks for the condisending reply 006 :Spin: I guess the idiot award for the year goes out to me...but...I just wanted to be sure, because all I ever seem to read is mic pre mic pre mic pre mic pre, and never hear about anyone going directly into their pro tools stuff or whatever...But we will use the digi002 to record everything, but we will be needing the ada8000 for some extra channels for recording drums.

I didn't mean to sound condescending at all. Sorry if it came out that way. I was just astonished that anyone would wonder if the Digi pre's were worse than the Behringer's. The DigiDesign stuff has very high-quality Focusrite preamps in them. Depending on how much you spend on your interface/console made my Digi, you get an accordingly matched preamp for the pricerange. The high-end Digi stuff is going to have better peamps than an MBox, of course. Now, there are preamps that own the Focusrite ones in the Digi gear, of course, I'm not saying the Focusrite ones are amazing by any means. I'm just stating that they are, in fact, a huge improvement over the Behringer stuff. The Digi002's preamps are great for high-quality demo work. I personally wouldn't use them for an album/serious sessions, we have nicer stuff here for that (Avalon, a couple of Focusrite RED and ISA series pres, and right now we got in an API lunchbox with a couple of 512c preamps borrowed from a friend), so thats what we do serious stuff on. But if you're recording a demo, they provide a top-notch quality preamp to run your mics into, short of paying $2k on mic pres alone (API, Neve, etc.), and then having to still buy an interface, and all that crap.

Using the Behringer in conjunction with the 002 for extra inputs will be fine, nothing wrong with that. But having the 002 for your really important stuff like kick, snare, toms, guitars, and vocals, will be a big improvement over the Behringer. Overheads, hi-hats, bass guitar, and usually anything else will sound fine through the Behringer. :)

~006

Chthoniangod said:
CHAIN:
Kramer baretta with quadrails pickups

Yaaaayyyy, someone other than me uses that guitar... :headbang:
I never thought someone would pop up here with it, with all these LTD, Schecter, Caparison and whatnot brands... :D
Does your guitar have skull&crossbones on keys? ;)

I liked FW-1884 the best, BTW.