Dull sounding EMG 81 ?

Aaabii

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2015
Hi,
I have a Schecter Hellraiser with a EMG 81 in bridge and i use it to record with amp sims through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen)
Always thought the guitar is muddy, i cant get a usable sound from any amp sim without a boost in front but after watching this (2:52 mark)

i couldnt believe the difference. My di is muddy (especially with palm mutes) and it sounds like it has no treble. Same guitar same interface.. So far:
Changed the strings
Bypassed the Tone Pot
Connected the guıtar to interface through a Radial JDI DI Box.
Nothing helped. So i am open to suggestions please help.
Thanks.

The emg 81 di sounds dead because it is super compressed, which is why a lot of players like them. Emgs have weak magnetic properties from what I understand, so get them as close as you can without touching the strings. Other than that, you may want to get a different pickup.

The emg 81 di sounds dead because it is super compressed, which is why a lot of players like them. Emgs have weak magnetic properties from what I understand, so get them as close as you can without touching the strings. Other than that, you may want to get a different pickup.

Did you read his entire post and answers too ?

Sorry. Reading everything again, it appears he was saying that his DI sounds nothing like the DI mentioned. I thought he was saying the DI was the same, and was trying to improve it, given that he was putting a DI box in place.

@Aaabii Can you post a DI wav?

Last edited:
My previous guitar was Schecter Damien Elite with 81 & 85 combos. For me they were amazing. Maybe you should post WAV di track instead of SoundCloud, so it's possible to test in DAW. It's hard to guess listening in Soundcloud but have you checked tone knob? For me, it sounds like the tone knob is dialed back.

Since he bypassed the tone knob, I wonder if there is an issue with a pot, or maybe a pot value (above 25k) or the connection wasnt terminated properly and the wire is touching something causing a little bit of bleed to ground (sheilding in the cavity, maybe). But the DI box still is suspect, and easiest to troubleshoot. Also, a friend recently told me about his experience with Ernie Ball cobalt strungs, which were very similar to my experiences with Dean Markley, so maybe the strings could be a factor, too.