circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Dungeon – One Step Beyond
Limb Music Products – LMP 0502-076 – February 21st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

osb_sm.jpg

From the land that brought us Crocodile Dundee come power metallers Dungeon. If you’re familiar with my reviews (I know you are; you probably print them out and put them in your safety deposit box at the bank), then you know that I don’t get worked up about power metal. Sometimes, I dislike it. Sometimes, I even downright hate it. One Step Beyond is different, though. I found myself bobbing my head to most of the tunes, and appreciating elements that the group incorporates into their repertoire.

Things get off to a good start with “The Power Within.” As the vocalist is quick to point out, Dungeon’s philosophy is seemingly: “No bullshit, just play.” Yeah, he really says that at the beginning of the first track and, yes, that phrase does grace their website. Anyway, there’s a nice crunch to the guitar sound, the drums are well produced, and the musicians are quite proficient to boot. Falsettos, naturally, are part of Lord Tim’s vocal onslaught. “Tarranno Del Mar” begins serenely with acoustic guitars. Between the first two songs, the word “king” is used about 172 times. Petty? Yeah, but I also understand that this is power metal. One Step Beyond is best when the faster songs – i.e. “One Step Beyond,” “Against the Wind,” and “Surface Tension” – are let loose. Compositions such as “The Art of War” (with a long-ass introduction), “The Hunger,” and “Under the Cross” aren’t as immediately likeable as their companions. Oddly enough, “Epilogue” sounds like it could’ve been lifted from “The Star Spangled Banner,” and the former seems rather useless. Maybe their contract specified that at least nine songs be on the record?

Limb Music Products have a lot of power metal bands on their roster (Olympos Mons, Pagan’s Mind, Magic Kingdom, Archetype, Domain, just to name several), but Dungeon strike me as the best the label has to offer. Even more rewarding, for the fan, is the digipak version that comes with a live DVD. Lick it up.

7.5/10

Official Dungeon Website
Official Limb Music Products Website

Lord Tim said:
Cheers for the review there, Jason! :)

No problem, man. I'm no power metal fan, by any means, and you guys impressed me with this release, which says a lot about its quality I think. I didn't know you - or any other members for that matter - were registered here. :)

Hey Jason, your review was good and objective for the most part, just thought I would say that Epilogue is our national anthem for Australia and thats why its sounds somewhat regal and patriotic like "The Star Spangled Banner". Oh yeah and no falsettos on this album if I hear right, sounds like a head voice to me :)

I found a Rise To Power in a little record shop in the middle of nowhere and loved it from the get go. Picked this up and it continues to impress me with every listen. Against The Wind is my favorite. Dungeon has made a new fan in New mexico and I hope to see them in the states some day.