ears cleared

Vuts

Jul 14, 2005
Athens, Greece
www.fourwalls.gr
hi people

i was wondering how log does it take for u to lose the ability to hear o_O
after how long do you take a break to clear your head and then come back to the mix
?

i know the answer is probably " when i feel i need a break"
but sometimes you are so into the mix that you dont realize that !!

i think it depends on the level that you are mixing

well .....

I usually go for 6-8 hours max, then take a break. The best is just an overnight sleep so you can clear your head entirely. I usually find when I'm working on a mix the first thing I'll do in the morning is load it back up anyway, as soon as I wake up, hehe.

I think the cue to take a break is when all the mixing decisions you make become detrimental to the mix rather than beneficial to it.

I usually am able to hear well for two or three hours, then I tend to lose objectivity. Usually it's good to do some A/B with other productions if you have to finish on a deadline, otherwise it's best to rest ovenight and start again the day after.

I'm agree with Fabbio, two or three hours.....then i need a cafè and a cigaretta truccata.

I just found this thread.

In my dissertation I recommended a 15min break every hour, but that was only at levels of around 60dB and was far from ideal. If you are working with headphones you need to take a break every 30mins and make sure you leave the studio entirely and just sit in a quiet room for a good 10mins. Headphones are the biggest threat to hearing and can cause major damage before you know whats happened.

Remember, look after your hearing, if you have ringing in your ears or have a dull sensation then you need to stop and walk away. Even if it's a paid session, your hearing can't be fixed once you've damaged it.

Andy Sneap said:
yeah, don't think the label will be too happy of you walkin out if your ears are ringing lol.

Well if we're real professionals we can go by eye on the levels, and using the yellow caps in the ears under the headphones...

...who would know?

:D