Earthride - Vampire Circus

Darkmatter

Vox/Gtr
Earthride – Vampire Circus
Southern Lord Recordings – SUNN51 – November, 2005
By Vince Levalois

earthride_cover.jpg

Here comes the Southern fueled doomy and hard rockin Earthride led by ex-Spirit Caravan/Wretched Dave Sherman on vox! I’m sure my good friend Perry Grayson of same-genre stalwarts Falcon would have lots to say about this mammoth CD filled with bludgeoning old-school Maryland heaviness worthy of the most discriminating doom fan.

Immediately evident is Sherman’s throat, which recalls Lemmy K’s tone to a near T. His delivery is perfect for this Sabbath throwback, with a guttural growl fitting the music very well. Guitars are overdriven and detuned by Kyle VanSteinburg with great ease, and despite the overall retro recording veil on this CD, producer Mike Dean (COC, Probot) is able to maintain clarity and focus. I can’t say the same in the drum dept since Eric Little has difficulty staying on course often as Kyle’s riffs drift in and out of his obtuse fills and pattern changes. If anything this is an almost necessary characteristic of some simplistic doom… grows hair on your chest.

I especially enjoyed the varied feels this CD brings to the table, including more hellish numbers such as the opener “Fighting The Devils Inside You” and “Dirtnap” to more classic sounding “Understand” or “Swamp Witch”, complemented by some good ol’ Rhodes vibrations. It’s tough to think on the same par as these dirty South gentlemen, where whiskey, loose women and bad religion prevail.

Musings of self-control and anti-establishment/religion are lord throughout the tracks and provide the backdrop for a quality, closer to purity delivery of doom this side of the swamp. Summed up, Earthride’s second full length effort deserves its place in the annals of doom, under tried-and-true.

7/10

Southern Lord Records Official Website