Eddie in trouble.....again

Iron Zombius

Sep 6, 2007
CHANNEL Nine commentators Eddie McGuire and Mick Molloy have attracted international attention with their controversial comments made about the men's ice skating.

In their Winter Olympics wrap last night, the pair took aim at some of the costumes worn by the male competitors in the figure skating.

As the pair discussed the men's figure skating, Molloy said: "They don't leave anything in the locker room these blokes do they", before a sniggering McGuire interjected, adding "they don't leave anything in the closet either do they."

Molloy was quick to jokily reprimand McGuire, warning him he could get into trouble.

The network then cut to an image of a skater wearing a tuxedo-style costume, which Molloy described as something even singer Prince would not wear.

The footage then showed a skater wearing a costume of overalls and a flannelette shirt with McGuire suggesting it was "a bit of broke back".

Molloy agreed saying: "A bit of Brokeback Mountain exercises, you can't wear that."

The pair was referring to the Heath Ledger film Brokeback Mountain about a pair of gay cowboys.

The comments have attracted attention as far away as Britain, where The Sun carried a report about their "schoolboy jokes".

Channel Nine received several complaints from viewers about the comments.

Social media networks including twitter were also awash with comments from viewers appalled at what the pair was saying.

Members of an anti-Eddie McGuire Facebook page - Eddie Mcguire is ruining the 2010 Winter Olympics coverage - were also outraged.

Karen Turner wrote: "I watched for the first time last night and was shocked and embarrassed by his comments about the ice skaters, time for him to retire and replace him with someone more educated in life."

The pair's comments came just a day after Molloy made a similar homophobic jibe about male ice skaters.

Later in the segment, Molloy apologised for that comment he had made on Tuesday night.

"I made a joke that was a bit off colour, some of the crew here didn't like it either," he said.

"I suggested that there was a disaster happening at the ice skating rink because organisers had found out one of the male ice dancers wasn't gay.

"And I apologise for that really sincerely."

But the apology was soon defunct as Molloy added "but it definitely wasn't this guy" before cutting to a shot of champion American figure skater Johnny Weir wearing a pink and black outfit and holding a heart-shaped cushion.

Channel Nine is yet to respond to the incident.

I saw this live and had a laugh, but thought at the time we would hear more about it

You could at least put "McGuire" in the topic. I thought it was about the other Eddie (you know, the important one) :p

Mick Molloy said:
I suggested that there was a disaster happening at the ice skating rink because organisers had found out one of the male ice dancers wasn't gay.
:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, how can you not laugh at this:

johnnyweir.jpg

If the Sun doesn't like it, then you're on to a winner. I wouldn't take much notice of a "newspaper" that has some old slag with her silicone knockers out on page three.

Were they the official commentators, or was this on another show? If it was the actual commentary, then yeah, it was unprofessional. But in any other context I think it's fucking hilarious. :)

If the Sun doesn't like it, then you're on to a winner. I wouldn't take much notice of a "newspaper" that has some old slag with her silicone knockers out on page three.

Were they the official commentators, or was this on another show? If it was the actual commentary, then yeah, it was unprofessional. But in any other context I think it's fucking hilarious. :)

No, not the official commentators. The comments were made during the "vancouver gold" program between 9.30pm and 12.30am. Kinda like a wrap of the day at the games.

its meant to be funny. They also shows the fuck ups of the day

I think that gives them rather a bit more leeway than if they were meant to be doing proper commentary.

as-gay-as-this1.jpg

this should be interesting....

Eddie Maguire has Johnny weir (the bloke with the flowers on his head in the picture above) tonight in the studio on Vancouver Gold