Edguy new album

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
NEW EDGUY ALBUM ALMOST COMPLETED
January 12, 2014
This news has been a long time coming. Secretly EDGUY have sneaked into the studio to record the follow up to their chartbreaking 2011 album "Age Of The Joker" (eg. no. 3 in the German album charts). The band has issued the following brief statement from the studio:

“We have focused on what makes this band unique and recorded what we believe is going to be the strongest & heaviest album this band has ever recorded. We didn't waste any time with updates or distractions. There is no doubt, that this album is going to be the album we'll be measured against in the future. And it makes us proud to say that as a band that has been existing for over 22 years now, fully aware that the best is yet to come.“

The album is in the mixing process right now and will be out in April. Details will be revealed soon.

Name of the album, according to edguy.net, is 'Space Police - Defenders of the Crown.'

Head, meet desk.

I'd love to know if there's some kind of meaning to the album title, perhaps something that will be more clear once we hear the songs and their lyrics. It's a rather long-winded, silly name if it is just random.

On April 18 Edguy will release their tenth studio album Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown. Last weekend some journalists had the chance to listen to the album for the first time and the press reaction was amazing. There are several good reasons to believe that this album is going to be one of the strongest and heaviest Edguy albums of all time. Secretly Edguy have sneaked into the studio to record the follow up to their chart breaking 2011 album 'Age Of The Joker' (a.o. #3 in Germany). More details are going to be revealed soon.

EdguySpacePolice.jpg

Can we really believe that Edguy will or are even capable of releasing an album that isn't commercial pop rock - sadly they 'sold out' many years ago. I will give it a listen but don't hold out much hope of it joining my cd collection

The song 'Sabre & Torch' is now available to listen to on their website via a Youtube Lyric Video, anybody checked it out?

Sounds quite interesting, albeit a song that feels rather odd as an album opener. Some tasty, thrash-like riffs and the production sounds better than their last few albums. I feel indifferent regarding the lyrics at this stage.

Really don't like what Tobi sounds like these days. The song itself is okay, but I have a strong feeling the rest of the album will not follow it stylistically and we're going to get more songs like Robin Hood.

I hope the other guys wrote some stuff for this album, because Age of the Joker was 100% composed by Tobi, and I think that's a big mistake nowadays.

The song itself is okay

Yeah that's about as excited as I could get about it too. Not bad, just nothing reaction provoking. I'm glad Tobi has Avantasia going for him because Edguy wise I don't think there's been a solid album since Hellfire. Everything since has been weak and real gems have been few and far between.

Yeah that's about as excited as I could get about it too. Not bad, just nothing reaction provoking. I'm glad Tobi has Avantasia going for him because Edguy wise I don't think there's been a solid album since Hellfire. Everything since has been weak and real gems have been few and far between.

I actually think he should put a stop to Avantasia for good and just keep Edguy on.

Just played Sabre & Torch again a few times and honestly I'm done with this band, I won't be buying this album unless another single comes out that sounds convincing. The lyrics are terrible, Tobi can't sing anymore, it doesn't even sound like Edguy (sounds, again, like an Avantasia demo that wasn't good enough for Mystery of Time and was touched up a bit for Edguy). There's nothing about this that sounds like Edguy, it just sounds like the band (and Tobi) going through the motions. His tendency to go over the top with very weird and unconventional adjectives makes it sound like he has a very awkward grasp on the English language which wasn't a problem ten years ago. And the chorus, "Whoa-oh! Whoa-oh! Out of the dark into the fire below!" is so god damn generic it makes me mad.

Okay, okay, I'm done raining on the parade of anyone who enjoys this. I'm just pissed off that one (or two) of my favorite bands has turned into something I can't even stomach.

This is actually a pretty good interview. It's nice to actually listen to Tobi (and Jens!) talk about Edguy's music. Lots of respect for them sticking to their guns and after watching the video I feel a little bad for slagging them off so much lately, although my POV is still very much the same.

Last edited by a moderator: