Effects of weight lifting on guitar technique

chrisotoole

New Metal Member
Mar 5, 2008
Hi Chris

First off congrats on the Megadeth gig,

I have a question relating to weight lifting and guitar playing, I'm guessing that you work out quite regularly with substantial weights, I've just got back into weight lifting myself and I'm finding that my guitar technique is suffering a little since starting again, especially alternate picking. Is this just a case of my muscles adjusting to weight lifting again or is this a problem you have found affected your playing long term.

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated dude,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

First off congrats on the Megadeth gig,

I have a question relating to weight lifting and guitar playing, I'm guessing that you work out quite regularly with substantial weights, I've just got back into weight lifting myself and I'm finding that my guitar technique is suffering a little since starting again, especially alternate picking. Is this just a case of my muscles adjusting to weight lifting again or is this a problem you have found affected your playing long term.

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated dude,

Thanks

Chris

I remember at first it really made it hard to play right after I would work out but I make sure to stretch and now my body has aclimated to it.

Good luck Chris.

The only thing about my weight lifting that's affecting my guitar playing negatively, is the fact that I tend to spend more time with the weights than the guitar! :lol: Besides that, I think it actually made me a better player.

The only thing about my weight lifting that's affecting my guitar playing negatively, is the fact that I tend to spend more time with the weights than the guitar! :lol: Besides that, I think it actually made me a better player.

I have the same problem. All I ever do anymore is lift, 5 days a week when I'm not working or in class.

Chris, is there any chance you can post your workout plan? Because you obviously somehow still find time to practice and remain a successful musician.

I have the same problem. All I ever do anymore is lift, 5 days a week when I'm not working or in class.

Chris, is there any chance you can post your workout plan? Because you obviously somehow still find time to practice and remain a successful musician.

Well remember that I am lucky enough to be able to do what I love for a living and that affords me plenty of time to work out and practice. My routine is 6 day a week split with each muscle group worked out twice that week, and a half hour of cardio. Ex: day 1 and 4- Chest and tricepts, day 2 and 5 Back and bicepts, day 3 and 6 - Legs and shoulders, day 7 rest. These work outs take about 2 hours a day and the rest of the time is free for me to practice.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

I actually find it helps if I lift at night after I've gotten all my playing in for the day. Rather than lifting earlier and having to play with may hands, wrists, and fingers fatigued from lifting. I like lifting in the morning as far as energy levels but ometimes it works against me.......especially on the classical. So I tend to to lift at night. Also I lift a little lighter now then I did when I was younger.

Well remember that I am lucky enough to be able to do what I love for a living and that affords me plenty of time to work out and practice. My routine is 6 day a week split with each muscle group worked out twice that week, and a half hour of cardio. Ex: day 1 and 4- Chest and tricepts, day 2 and 5 Back and bicepts, day 3 and 6 - Legs and shoulders, day 7 rest. These work outs take about 2 hours a day and the rest of the time is free for me to practice.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

Wow sounds awesome. You are lucky. You have time to do this while on tour too?
And your diet?