Effects Rack VS Pedal Board

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
I'm thinking about ditching this whole thing and just getting the ISP Decicmator Pedal to add to the rest of my pedals. This rack is kind of a pain in the ass because as you can see I have rather pointless "effects" and can't afford MIDI a controller. The Decimator is kewl but I don't think I need the rack just for this. I'm thinking a pedal board such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PEDALTRAIN-PT-JRHC-w-VOODOO-LAB-PEDAL-POWER-II_W0QQitemZ130257854012QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item130257854012&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 might work for my best interest. So keep an eye cuz this might be for sale soon.
DSC01173.jpg

Wow dude, that pedalboard is RETARDEDLY expensive - just put a $15 surge protector on something like this and it's the same durn thing! I actually just figured out my live rig myself, if you'll allow me to share...

I stick this on the wall outlets for my power conditioning needs, plug this into it, and into those three outlets I plug my amp, delay pedal, and this, which runs to the aforementioned surge protector on my pedalboard (at the front of the stage). Done, and a whole lot more portable!

I have the PT-2 w/ Hard Case. I already had a Voodoo Pedal Power 2 (very nice, BTW, 12/9V, Line6, sag controls, extra 3 prong outlet) to install in it. I like my setup a lot now, and I can change anything really quickly. My only problem is wanting to get another board for more pedals.

This is what my rig usually looks like, and I hate it. I end up having to set my rack on the ground because there's often times nothing for me to set it on that will hold it without tipping over...the 2:90 is pretty damn heavy. Pisses me off because when I'm in a hurry to set shit up, I end up with cables all over the damn place, as you can see here.
The sore thumb of my whole rig is the midi controller. I can't get the expression pedals programmed to do anything, so theres like an extra 6 inches of wasted space that keeps me from putting anything in a pedal board. I have a few other pedals that I'd like to be able to use, but never get to because it just adds to the clusterfuck.
l_65992f3c1e891682dcd97987404edbc6.jpg

When I actually ever get some money going again, I plan on getting the DMC Ground Control w. rack controller (so I can load some effects into the rack for more space and run them from the DMC). I'm also planning on getting an X2 wireless so I can do with less cables. I'd rather have a power cable and a midi cable running to the front of the stage than both and 1/4" cables from axe-->NS-2-->amp. I'd also be interested in an ISP Decimater rack unit because my TriAxis is fuckin noisy as hell with almost intolerable hum.

I'm actually kinda turned off by my G-Major, and part of the reason I want to get the DMC rack unit is so I can run pedals into it to be controlled from out front, and ditch the G-Major which just ends up sounding kinda corny. I'm actually getting to be under the impression that individual pedals are more focused on one effect, therefore better than one unit thats trying to do several and falling a bit short. The G-Major is good for verb/delay, but overall it's too confusing for what it is.

BTW, I have no idea why there is a 2' cable running out of my tuner...maybe my other guitarist was using it to tune and thats all he had.

fuck some gayass effects.

FUCK AN CHORUS
FUCK TOO MUCH DELAY
FUCK REVERB ON MY GODDAMNED GUITAR
fuckhavingtohookupabunchofshitallthetimeandcarryabigassrackandreadstupidshitlikethisoninternetfuckmyeyes

all i really like is WAH (for easy solols) and crazy as fuck FUZZ (for making shit sound like it's going to FUCKING EXPLODE)

L@@K AT THIS GODDAMNED BADASS MOTHERFUCKER.
PICT4282.jpg

Shit is awesome.
- built in power cord so you don't lose that shit
- built in BOOST
- built in FUZZZZZZZZ
- boner
- chromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechrome

I have the PT-2 w/ Hard Case. I already had a Voodoo Pedal Power 2 (very nice, BTW, 12/9V, Line6, sag controls, extra 3 prong outlet) to install in it. I like my setup a lot now, and I can change anything really quickly. My only problem is wanting to get another board for more pedals.

Sell it and upgrade to the Pro Model!

This is what my rig usually looks like, and I hate it. I end up having to set my rack on the ground because there's often times nothing for me to set it on that will hold it without tipping over...the 2:90 is pretty damn heavy. Pisses me off because when I'm in a hurry to set shit up, I end up with cables all over the damn place, as you can see here.
The sore thumb of my whole rig is the midi controller. I can't get the expression pedals programmed to do anything, so theres like an extra 6 inches of wasted space that keeps me from putting anything in a pedal board. I have a few other pedals that I'd like to be able to use, but never get to because it just adds to the clusterfuck.

When I actually ever get some money going again, I plan on getting the DMC Ground Control w. rack controller (so I can load some effects into the rack for more space and run them from the DMC). I'm also planning on getting an X2 wireless so I can do with less cables. I'd rather have a power cable and a midi cable running to the front of the stage than both and 1/4" cables from axe-->NS-2-->amp. I'd also be interested in an ISP Decimater rack unit because my TriAxis is fuckin noisy as hell with almost intolerable hum.

I'm actually kinda turned off by my G-Major, and part of the reason I want to get the DMC rack unit is so I can run pedals into it to be controlled from out front, and ditch the G-Major which just ends up sounding kinda corny. I'm actually getting to be under the impression that individual pedals are more focused on one effect, therefore better than one unit thats trying to do several and falling a bit short. The G-Major is good for verb/delay, but overall it's too confusing for what it is.

BTW, I have no idea why there is a 2' cable running out of my tuner...maybe my other guitarist was using it to tune and thats all he had.

:loco: That's a pretty intense rig... I would be pulling my hair out setting all that shit for every show! Wires Galore! Yeah, I think you're right on getting individual pedals unless you ever have the money to upgrade to a really nice effects processor. I'll keep in touch, an give you an update on what I do with ISP. Take Care.

Sloan: Dude, WTF is up with that wah pedal? :lol: I'm a believer of the tone out of fear... Did they make it for Shaq or what? I'll agree with you man, I'm not big on effects as you can tell. If I have a pedal board it's pretty much a wah, tuner, tube screamer and noise suppressor/gate. (Maybe delay)

That was useful. :rolleyes:

it's a sweet opinion on the effects setup

YES - and it also cracks me up more than anything I've ever seen ever on here. NO ONE questions Sloan's antics, the world would be a cold and grim place without 'em! :lol:

I'll agree with you man, I'm not big on effects as you can tell. If I have a pedal board it's pretty much a wah, tuner, tube screamer and noise suppressor/gate. (Maybe delay)

All the more reason you just need a freakin' board dude, not that Voodoo labs nonsense! I'm planning on getting this, for chrissakes (I just have to measure to make sure it'll fit everytang), all I'll have on there is a power strip, tuner pedal, TS7, amp footswitch, and eventually a wireless receiver, so a little velcro tape and SHABAM all is secured :)

And you mention a delay pedal, but that'd be a poor choice on the pedalboard, cuz you'll definitely want it in the loop and having it at the front of the stage would mean you'd have to run gondo cables to and from the loop up there - no thanks! That's what's so great about Rectos, have it always-on in the loop, and just turn the loop on and off with the amp's footswitch! (perhaps I've mentioned this before? :loco: )

And you mention a delay pedal, but that'd be a poor choice on the pedalboard, cuz you'll definitely want it in the loop and having it at the front of the stage would mean you'd have to run gondo cables to and from the loop up there - no thanks! That's what's so great about Rectos, have it always-on in the loop, and just turn the loop on and off with the amp's footswitch! (perhaps I've mentioned this before? :loco: )

Yeah... my effects loop will be pointless if I ditch the rack! BTW I don't think you've ever mentioned anything of the rectos FX loop. ;)

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the ISP Decimator pedal? I'm wondering how it functions compared to the rack version. Of course there's more features but can you get the same type of reduction without loss of tone? Thanks.

To chime in with my thoughts:

The voodoo labs power supply box is only worth it if your powering those line 6 pedals (the big 4 switch ones... you get me) other wise it's overkill IMO. There are much cheaper boxes that do the same thing just as well. The voodoo lab ones just have the ability to power more shit.

Personally I built my own pedal box, but I know this isn't really an option here.

Never used a decimator pedal, but have heard good things. I'm fairly sure it gets recommended over a NS-2 A LOT.

My personal opionion is that you should NEVER have to plug in more than 5 things EVER at a show:
cable to guitar (the other end should already be plugged into your effects board!)
cable to effects send (same HERE)
cable to effects return (SAME HERE)
cable into 4X12
cable into head to power 4X12 (on my 5150, I never made this connection either, it was always plugged in and wrapped around the cable wrap)

Good luck.