TheTechnogoat

Protean
Jun 20, 2005
Montreal
Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
Candlelight Records - CDL392 - November 20, 2007
By Jack Deming

electric.jpg

After 14 years of consistent (albeit at times less than quality) musical output, Electric Wizard have dished out a commanding addition to the Doom/Stoner metal genre that will have your head swaying slightly in and out of the beat throughout the entire album. Make no mistake, even if this is not your cup of tea, you will no doubt at some point find your head nodding slowly and methodically to the imperious marches and intoxicating grooves of Witchcult Today. The music never loses momentum, but continually plugs away in an almost swinging fashion, like a necklace being used to hypnotize an unsuspecting and hopelessly inebriated hippie in a 70s horror movie.

Electric Wizard's very livelihood rests in their simplicity, which is part of what makes them such an interesting band, and a very hard one to critique or explain. Witchcult Today does not feature any standout tracks per se, but rather it features eight tracks that flow together as one entity, and thus should be listened from start to finish. This is a vibe that I really love and that few bands achieve, examples of this most notable to me being Finntroll's Visor Om Slutet and Ulver's Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

The most notable aspect of Witchcult Today is the production, as well as the texture and atmosphere that are created from it. In a sense, the effect of the grating, chunky production of Witchcult Today does the same atmospherically for Electric Wizard's sound as the infamous production of Under A Funeral Moon did for Darkthrone's. The lo-fi guitars will definitely rip through any cheap headphones if the listener is foolish enough to sacrifice them, but obviously in a much different way than black metal style guitars would. The bass is ludicrously overpowering, but just right by Doom metal's standards, and has a very strange but cool effect on the listener. Essentially it's similar to the feeling of your brain being reduced to mush, in a very good (and not so cliché ridden) way.

Witchcult Today is a breath of fresh air for Electric Wizard and Doom metal in general, and a fine entry point into the Doom/Stoner genre for new listeners. Electric Wizard have not released an album of this caliber since 2000's Dopethrone, and I applaud and welcome their return.

Official Electric Wizard Myspace
Official Candlelight Records USA Website

Let's not get carried away. It's entertaining enough for one or two listens while doing a few bong hits but not much more than that.

Weak album, gets boring very fast. I think the main problem is the production, Electric Wizard's trademark is their crushingly heavy sound, which is completely absent here.

I've been trying to get a hard copy of this for some time but for some odd reason I can't find it. From the samples I've heard it samples like EW alright, but a very different one. I admit, a few off the songs seem to be very similar to one another, but I'd still like to listen to the whole thing, seeing as I quite enjoy everything I have heard from this band.