Eluveitie – Slania

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Eluveitie – Slania
Nuclear Blast – NB 2079-2 – 11 Mar 2008
By Ryan Starr

1195051077_large.jpg

I have to admit, I am new to Eluveitie. My first experience with them was on the Pagan Fest MySpace page. They were the only band I didn’t know, so I promptly did some research. Not only was I impressed, I was stunned that something of such a high quality was not on my radar. Needless to say, when I heard Slania was coming out, I had to get my hands on a copy. I was not disappointed.

Slania is a masterful blend of Celtic music and melodic death metal. Eluveitie blend the two styles perfectly, not allowing one style to over shadow the other. There are some guitar focused songs, like ‘Bloodstained Ground’ which features some awesome riffing, and there are songs that really let the folk instruments shine, to include the breathtaking instrumental ‘Anagantios’.

But if there is one thing that strikes me the most, it’s the fact that Eluveitie are taking folk metal in a different direction. The genre is expanding and crossing into new territory, and that is probably the most important thing about Eluveitie. If we had nothing but Finntroll and Korpiklaani imitators, the genre would die off. Stylistic differences are key to the survival of the genre, and Eluveitie is just different enough to keep the scene fresh.

Official Eluveitie Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

not really at all....

although there is a significant early In Flames influence, which is quite uncommon with the folk genre. Can't wait to see these dudes.

I do hear a little DT influence, and I do hear a little bit of an IF influence, but that's not too surprising considering the fact that the two bands were once closely linked.

Anyway, as far as Eluveitie is concerned, they have a pretty unique blend of music and I dig it. It ranges from being harsh, to being pop-y, to being upbeat and almost power-metal like. The folk influence, of course, is fairly strong throughout. It's definitely interesting stuff. I hope they keep up the good work.

I agree. Real strong DT influence, it's the base of their music. The vocalist, at times, reminds of Stanne. The infusion of "celtic folk" is done very well. A couple of yrs ago Ensiferum were the "new" folk/metal band. Now we have Eluveitie. I got the album the other day, and I do like it, need more listens to determine it's replay value. The review really was not that comprehensive or informative.

dude, critical is great! any opinions i can get would be fantastic. i write these for you guys, so if you want to see somthing, let me know
~gR~

it is DT influences, they have that sweedish melodeth style compared with Celtic Folk Metal, that it! Love the band tho ;D