Elvenking – The Scythe

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Elvenking – The Scythe
Candlelight – CDL391 – November 6, 2007
By Ryan Starr

41KUOd%2B8jhL._AA240_.jpg

In today’s metal scene we have a lot of bands trying to “make it”. One of the most popular methods to achieve this goal is to take a style and mix it with whatever is popular at the time, and that’s what Elvenking did on The Scythe. This album sounds like Yellowcard tried their hand at power metal, and came very close to pulling it off. But even though there is some great riffing, there are some parts that I’m just embarrassed to be seen listening to. In that “I better turn down the volume and roll up the windows before someone sees me” sort of way.

Now I have no problem with emo. Surely there is a market for it, and I can’t tell people what music to enjoy. But please leave it out of metal. And while the emo influence is limited, there is just enough to completely kill any mood the previous songs put me in. It almost seems like they strategically place these emo songs in the album to break up the good power metal vibe.

But there is more than just power metal shred and emo whining in The Scythe. There is a bit of folk influence as well, which is most prominent in their use of violin. The violin part in ‘Poison Tears’ is almost enough to save the song from the damage caused by the huge emo influence. Now I’ve always been a huge fan of folk metal, and I really enjoy these sections, but it just isn’t enough of it for me to give this album a good review.

Overall I think this album could have been great, but I think there is just too much commercial compromising. Their attempt at trying to bring the mainstream into power metal will probably disappoint the metal base. But from an optimistic point of view, maybe Elvenking will bring the emo kids into the world of metal and convince them to put down the razor blades and pick up a battle axe.

Official Elvenking Website
Official Candlelight Website

Heathenreel is still their best; Wyrd was pretty cool too. I'd say they really started to go downhill with "The Winter Wake" and I haven't even heard this one yet, but it doesn't sound too promising. It's sad to see bands go this way but they all mostly do eventually. :(

I like The Scythe, it does have some emo aspects to it but not enough in my opinion to overpower the rest of the influences etc.

The only problem I have with the album is it's more power, not enough folk influences. I want more fiddles!:mad: It's not a bad album though just takes a bit of getting used to I think

Wyrd was the only Elvenking CD that caused my dad and I to break into spontaneous air-violin playing. :)