Emaciate - Demo

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Emaciate - Demo
Self-released - 2004
By Philip Whitehouse

um.gif

It's not often, these days, that I hear two tracks by a death metal band, and am then really really eager to hear more - but by goat, Brighton/Sussex-based deathsters Emaciate have had that effect on me. Claiming influence from the likes of Decapitated and Hate Eternal, Emaciate conjure up a suffocatingly heavy mixture of downtuned technicality and bludgeoning riffery that makes for a particularly potent brew. The production is top-notch for an unsigned band's two-track demo as well - the guitars are thick as six-inch concrete, and the ultra-low vox sound engineered to rumble subwoofers.

First track, 'Unavoidable Demise' contains some memorable riffage (a rarity in itself in today's technicality-obsessed widdle-fest DM climate) backed up by imaginative drumming that refuses to merely blast for the sake of blasting (but isn't afraid to conjure up a blast-storm when the song demands). This is followed by the blistering pace and labyrinthine riffage in 'Path Of The Chosen', to make a jaw-droppingly high-quality pair of death metal tracks.

Please speed me with all haste my advance copy of the Emaciate debut full-length! (Well, it's worth a try...)

8.5/10

Official Emaciate Website