EMG 60 vs. 81 for neck???

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I might be getting a custom guitar built...I know you dudes prefer the EMG 85 in the bridge which I'm going to try...But how about for neck?? How does the 60 stack up against the 81??? For lead tones I really like a smooth sound but still aggressive enough for metal...if that means anything. Thanks!!

-Joe

I'm just going by suggestions on here. I had an 81 in the bridge of an older guitar and thought it was cool, but I'm always up to try new things.

-Joe

I actually like the 81 better in the bridge also. For the neck, I've come to really like the 89. Sounds like an 85, but pull the coil tap for some great clean sounds. I've got an 81 in the neck of another guitar, but I much prefer the 89 there.

Never tried the 60 but as far as the 81 and 85 go it really depends on the guitar IMO. For me the 85 worked better in the bridge and 81 sounded more like it was supposed to in the neck slot- but this was in an sg. In bigger sounding guitar the 81 might work better.

hi. i have an 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck, and my partner guitarist has 81-81(on the same type of guitars, so we had the chance to compare them). i recomend you from my expirience 60 in the neck, sounds exactly as you described you want it to sound.smooth but still agressive.

The 60 is great in the neck IMO. I think that it works best in a mahogany guitar. However there are two versions of it. If you choose to use an 81 in the bridge(as I do) then you would want to go with the 60. If you use an 85 at the bridge which has an alnico magnet then you would want to use the alnico version of the 60 which is the 60A. The regular 60 is ceramic magnet like the 81.

The 89 is a great neck pickup as well, but I don't use that one myself

I have an 81/60 combo in this guitar and it sounds great. Just for shits and giggles I tried an 85 from one of my other guitars in the bridge(gotta love the quick connects) and it was too bassy in this particular guitar due to the mahogany body and neck.
DSCN00950037.jpg

I have an alder bodied maple neck guitar that has an 85 in the bridge with an 81 in the neck and I love that combo as well. All depends on what the guitar is made out of and the sound you are trying to achieve.

LT1Z said:
The 60 is great in the neck IMO. I think that it works best in a mahogany guitar. However there are two versions of it. If you choose to use an 81 in the bridge(as I do) then you would want to go with the 60. If you use an 85 at the bridge which has an alnico magnet then you would want to use the alnico version of the 60 which is the 60A. The regular 60 is ceramic magnet like the 81.

The 89 is a great neck pickup as well, but I don't use that one myself

I have an 81/60 combo in this guitar and it sounds great. Just for shits and giggles I tried an 85 from one of my other guitars in the bridge(gotta love the quick connects) and it was too bassy in this particular guitar due to the mahogany body and neck.
DSCN00950037.jpg

I have an alder bodied maple neck guitar that has an 85 in the bridge with an 81 in the neck and I love that combo as well. All depends on what the guitar is made out of and the sound you are trying to achieve.
Hehe, I wonder what Dave's reaction would be if he saw those pickups in his signature model. :D

Nitronium Blood said:
Hehe, I wonder what Dave's reaction would be if he saw those pickups in his signature model. :D

He would hate it....but fuck him it's mine not his....and sounds way better now than it did with the JB/Jazz set:headbang: