EMG 81 making feedback on low note

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
So I've been having this problem with my new guitar. It's the first guitar I've owned with active pickups, and I'm noticing a lot of time when I'm chugging on the low C (Drop C tuning) I get this annoying feedback/ringing happening. Only seems to happen on the low string.

Help??!! Its VERY annoying!!!

Nope, it's only there when plugged in with distortion on. I damped the springs because I thought they were vibrating, which they were, but it didnt stop this little guy from poking his head around every time I do an open chug.... =/

You using a noise gate or something? Might be the amp. On my bugera 6260 i also get tiny feedbacks while chugging, on my triple xxx its more a short subtone. Wich is mostly cause my the gate shutting down i think.

Boss NS-2 and TS before Mesa Mark IV. It happens with the gate on or off. I might try to record a clip tonight to show you guys....its just seriously annoying as I love this new guitar and this sound is irking me to death!!

I'll try lowering them, but they arent really high at all. I've also noticed my Korg rackmount tuner doesnt want to register the low C as well as it does the rest of the strings.....Will play with pickup height tomorrow.

My bet is either the strings above the nut are ringing or the springs in the tremolo cavity are ringing (if the guitar has a floating tremolo)...

My bet is either the strings above the nut are ringing or the springs in the tremolo cavity are ringing (if the guitar has a floating tremolo)...

Already muted the springs in the cavity. I'll try stuffing something under the strings above the nut and see if that helps. If that is the case, its pretty bad. Only other thing I can think of is maybe a microphonic tube....but these tubes have maybe 10 hours on them and I paid a decent chunk of $ for them, so I hope that wouldnt be the case either.