EMG 81, much lower output than stock PU?

MetalMiller

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2008
Hesse Germany
www.youtube.com
WTF, i bought two 81`s on ebay and put them in my ltd m-100fm. Now when i plug the guitar into my interface i have to raise the hi-z input almost all the way up to get a useful signal. With the stock PU`s of a randy roads and a ibanez rg i roughly turn the input 10% up to get the same value. I have no tone poti connected and the volume poti is a 25K-ohm one, battery seems ok. Any tips, is it normal?

Nope, it is possible to connect them wrong. If you connect the quick connect cable backwards (the little triangle symbol should look away from the pickup), it sounds kinda weird and the pup has weaker output.

Same thing happens when there is no battery connected or the battery is dead. That could be wired wrong also.

This is strange.
I found that my EMG85 gives peak signal slightly lower than passive with moderate output (Caparison PH-R for example), about 3 db lower, because of EMG internal clipping (I`m using 9 V). Hope that 10% and 100% difference in gain of your interface does not mean 3 db.
But check your wiring and battery.

Something is indeed wrong, but also bear in mind that EMGs are not as high output as some people claim. Often you find the people that say EMGs are shockingly high output are people that have tried them for the wrong style of music, because there are seriously A LOT of passive pickups that sweep the EMGs under the table for output levels.

This is strange.
I found that my EMG85 gives peak signal slightly lower than passive with moderate output (Caparison PH-R for example), about 3 db lower, because of EMG internal clipping (I`m using 9 V).

Yeah I've found this to be the case as well.

Thanks guys. First i have mixed the passive PU (neck) and the EMG, and the output of the passive was to low too. With the 500K poti the passive worked fine. I realize that the passive PU has not the same volume with different potis. But could it be, that i use a wrong impedance? Are 25KOhm really right?