emg hz

skuller

Feb 25, 2007
SL, UT
www.myspace.com
couldnt find anything regarding emg passive pups through search. i just got a pair of EMG-H3 pups for $30. are these worth installing? does anyone like passive emgs? i know the esp alexi model has passives, so i cant imagine they sound too bad, but wanted some opinions. nothing on the h3's in the user reviews at HC either.

thoughts? thanks.

Ive used HZ-1'S and 4's but ive never heard of 3's!

The hz-4's are pretty nice, thats whats in the Alexi model, its the passive version of a active 81. As I said ive never had any dealings with Hz-3's. Im guessing thats not a good sign. If your strapped for cash or just prefer the passive tone id reccommend the hz-4's. The only differences that really stand out too me between them and the actives are the actives have more bite/tighter/cleaner sound. But its £180 for a set of them, so id expect that :p

My Schecter came with EMG-HZ H4 & H4A. These are supposed to be the passive equivalents of EMG 81 & 85; and I think they're actually doing a pretty good job. They're sitting in my old Kramer now, which is A 440-tuned for lead stuff. Sounds great, a lot better than the Kramers stock pickups.

they're not great pickups, but if you've got a cheap guitar with crappy stock ones they're a good replacement

$30 is an ok deal for those, i wouldn't pay a whole lot more tho...you're not getting a set of quality active emg's, duncans, or dimarzios with what you've got; but if you want a decent and cheap alternative, they're ok

wouldn't it have just been easier to say what you think about it?

No. It has nothing to do with being lazy or whatever bs you're talking...I've done it twice already.

That's why they brought back the search function in the first place.

I initially used the search function, but limited my search to 'HZ3'. Upon searching for EMG Passive, or EMG-HZ, I was able to find results. My initial inquiry though, brought nothing.

Thanks for all of the responses. For $30, I figure it's an improvement over the stock Epi pickups. Just waiting for my tech to finish installing them.

Word!

so i cracked and bought an 81 and 85. the set i picked up didn't have the mounting screws for the second pup, and thus, i decided to completely bypass finding new screws ... and get the actives. i was going to get a 60 but they didnt have them in stock.

heh.
thanks again.