Engineer - Reproach

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Engineer - Reproach
HEX Records - HXR014 - Jan. 10th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

Engineer-Reproach.jpg

Engineer Presents An Annual Report to all interested parties on the state of things - a work of music and lyrics entitled 'Reproach' - a story in nine parts. Is that title long enough or what? Thank goodness they make it clear this work is titled Reproach... I never want to type that other title again. It's annoying and scary. Speaking of things annoying and scary, Engineer breaks onto the scene with a roar like that of a lion... a lion that breaks out of it's cozy little circus cage, and before you know it, you're lion food!

Engineer is listed as a Hardcore/Metal band from Syracuse, New York. Firstly, I'd like to state that Engineer does not sound like a hardcore band. Secondly, is it just me or is the majority of hardcore groups formed in the United States? What is it with the U.S.A. and Hardcore? Oh well. Engineer busts out some grooves and riffs that sound like they belong on a recent Enslaved record, not hardcore at all... There are a lot of impressive dischord progressions - in fact, a lot of the guitar work throughout this monster are unusual chords put together to make dramatic progressions. The music is accompanied by the vocalist's demented howls that add a touch of chaos to Reproach... Of course, you can't tell what the guy is saying, but they've made it pretty obvious that this is a conceptual work of sorts as you may have noticed from the very long title. Don't worry, the booklet contains lyrics!

In conclusion, this is a work definitely worth checking out if you're into disharmonic prog-death I guess... I don't know why Engineer is listed as a hardcore group, as they obviously are not. The music is too complex and thought-out to be labeled as hardcore, and the songs are too epic - though not too long. Check it out, you may love it, or you may hate it. It might take a couple listens to fully comprehend. Reproach is a great debut release from Engineer, a group that will surely climb their way to the top.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Engineer Website
Official HEX Records Website