Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Ephemeral Sun – Prototype 19.5

Self Released Demo EP – 2003

By Nathan Pearce

5.jpg

Ephemeral Sun is a band formed in 2002 by members of Rain Fell Within and Autumn Tears, among other bands. The self-released demo in question consists of four songs and about 23-minutes of music. The music can best be described as dark atmospheric metal combined with a fusion of many progressive styles (jazz, electronica, darkwave, etc.). The combination is not hard to handle in the least. While many styles seem to be fighting to come forward in the mix, the band seamlessly blends the styles. The effect is adventurous music that listeners of MANY styles will be able to enjoy.

The addition of Laurie Ann Haus to the lead vocal department (I think she was simply back-up vocals in Autumn Tears) is the immediately noticeable feature about the band. Her vocals are both operatic and dark . . . sort of like The Gathering meets Nightwish. However, Laurie is obviously professionally trained, and she is able to bring much more to the music than any other female vocalist I’ve heard. My ears hear a strong Middle Eastern influence in some of her vocal patterns. Her voice is both soothing and powerful.

Musically the band is quite proficient, but they don’t bother with long passages of guitar wankery or keyboard runs and solos. The band focuses on songs instead. While this has become a cliché in the music world these days, Ephemeral Sun excels at applying their knowledge of music to the creation of amazing songs. Songs smoothly weave back and forth between progressive metal, darkwave electronica, jazz, and atmospheric passages.

For a four song EP, I am truly impressed. I can only imagine the amazing things this band will do with their full-length expected summer 2004. For fans of dark, atmospheric, metal watch for this band to make huge waves very soon.

9/10

[url]www.ephemeralsun.com[/url]

hehehe ... well I am positive that we probably were even worse then "blew nuts" because the show you saw was our first show ever, and happened to be infront of over 500 people opening for Symphony X and Devin Townsend. I know that I was damn nervous.

But if you would like to hear our music in a more relaxed setting where I don't want to faint from fright go to this to listen to our mp3's :D

http://www.soundclick.com/ephemeralsun