Epic/Viking/Folk Metal Suggestions?

bleedingskeptic

boo hoo
Oct 13, 2001
Ok. I haven't bought a cd in monthes because my computer's been down. I've got money in my hands and I need some suggestions. I'll try to explain what I want:

I'm in the mood for epic metal so epic that it wreaks of cheese.

I'm also in the mood for viking metal so powerful that I lead my heathen hordes across the land torching the temples of the monotheist blasphemers..

I'm also really in the mood for some folk metal that makes me want to dance a jig or two.

I know that there have been threads full of suggestions along these lines...but...I can't find them. So either fill this thread up with bands/cds or gimme links!

That is all.

Amon Amarth is excellent Viking metal which will definitely make you want to "lead your heathen hordes"
Summoning is really cool ambient folk metal band based on the world of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.
Check them out.

bleedingskeptic said:
I'm also in the mood for viking metal so powerful that I lead my heathen hordes across the land torching the temples of the monotheist blasphemers..

Bathory
Enslaved
Falkenbach
Graveland
Himinbjorg
Moonsorrow

I'm also really in the mood for some folk metal that makes me want to dance a jig or two.

Amorphis
Belinus
Cruachan
Ensiferum
Fintroll
Geasa
Primordial
Waylander

You should also check out Summoning

Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Also get their albums from from 2002 and 201
Everything by Einherjer
Everything by Thyrfing

Definately follow Dreamlords suggestions, I always agree with what he has to say on these matters. I'll reiterate...
Moonsorrow (Kings of viking metal at the moment in my opinion)
Summoning (Masters of fantastical folk metal)
Falkenbach (Very majestic, and mysterious, definately a must)
Bathory (What started it all)
Graveland (the later stuff is extremely epic, check out the album Immortal Pride)
Bergthron (Rarely mentioned, but these guys are fucking masters at what they do. Very folky, with a dense forest-like atmosphere)
Apotheosis (A bit more of a fantasy black metal band, which incorporates a lot of folk sections in the epic 15+ minute songs)
Windir (A bit of a thrashy version of viking folk metal)
Rakoth (a bit too mechanical, but still damn catchy)
Enslaved (needs no explanation)
Thy Serpent (the debut "Forests of Witchery" in particular has some very folky elements, while the later stuff is a bit more straight-forward symph-black metal)
Siebenburgen (check out the first two albums "Loreia" and "Grimjaur" for some decent melodic black/folk metal)
Bal-Sagoth's pompous nature is also worth a mention

Reactions: J.