2 - Sensorium
3 - Cry for the Moon "The Embrace that Smothers - Part IV"
4 - Feint
5 - Illusive Consensus
6 - Façade of Reality "The Embrace that Smothers - Part V"
7 - Run for a Fall
8 - Seif al Din "The Embrace that Smothers - Part VI"
9 - The Phantom Agony

Call it what you will. Gothic Metal. Operatic Metal. Classical Metal. Epic Metal. EPICA is all of those things, but there is only one major problem. None of it is that interesting. I have heard this style done by so many better bands, ie. THERION and AYREON, that EPICA seem sort of contrived and not that mesmerizing. I used this album as background fodder more than a few times while immersed in other activities, and nothing really caught my fancy. When I did listen uninterrupted, the same thing happens. The idea and premise is there, but it feels so overwhelming, and dare I say it, pompous, that it rarely falls together quite right. I know the bands heart and soul is there, but that is not enough to pull me into as much as they need the listener to participate.

There seems to be a loose concept, or better yet, basic ideas that flow through the album. EPICA use all the standards you would expect; haunting and operatic female vocals, some harsh death vox, full choirs, and plenty of real orchestra musicians joining along. This album is heavy, no doubt about it. But the vocals are sometimes too much. The word overkill comes to mind. Too much of a good thing can hurt more than help. Lead vocalist, Simone Simons definitely has a beautiful voice, and does fit the music. I just have never thought that the operatic style vocals can carry a full band, and should be used as more of an accent to the music, which is totally the opposite here. The band is centered on this style of vocals, with only the heavy vocals thrown in for good measure. Totally backwards in my book. Some of the songs are quite good though, as shown by “Feint”, which has a haunting melody, but is one of the least heaviest songs on the album. Go figure. I also enjoyed the beginnings of “Musive Concensus”, which featured the choir singing the same beat as the double bass. That was interesting.

EPICA have put out a decent enough concept album, with plenty of great musicianship, and wonderful operatic style vocals and mass choirs, but something just falls flat. If you are totally into this type of music, then by all means, pick this one up, as you will be over joyous with the whole album.

Rating: 6 /10

Evil C