Epica / Visions Of Atlantis at Jaxx

I'll be seeing them tonight in CT. I saw them last year at Progpower, but was barely familiar with them to really enjoy the show to the most. Now I'm a pretty big fan of the band, and really looking forward to hearing those songs I didn't know back at PP, but love now. I'm looking forward to hearing the new tunes...but can you tell me if they played Beyond Belief? That's been one of my favorites from the new cd lately.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new tunes...but can you tell me if they played Beyond Belief? That's been one of my favorites from the new cd lately.

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with the new CD, since I don't have a copy yet. So, searching on YouTube, I was able to come up with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound familiar to me.

I do know they did "Never Enough", which was the only new track to make an impression on me. Of course, it is the first single.

One of the amusing things about the show that comes to mind: Both Mark and Simone had fans in front of them, I guess to get that windblown hair look. :lol:

Jason

My full review is on my blog: http://thelongshot.livejournal.com/88828.html

Overall, a pretty good show. I think VOA impressed a lot of people, because they did some heavy business at their booth.

For those who saw Epica at ProgPower, it is mostly the same show with the addition of songs from the new album. They even did the same cover.

Jason

Nice review. :headbang:

I actually enjoyed The Groaning, which pleasantly surprised me since I initially had my doubts. One of my friends said he wasn't crazy about the singer either.

Visions of Atlantis was IMO incredible. I was really looking forward to their set. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play a little more off the first album (and they didn't play anything from their second album), but I didn't really expect them to since Melissa didn't sing on those albums. It was ok though since the new album (Trinity) is amazing - probably one of my favorite releases this year. Melissa was super sweet, as were the rest of the band members that I met at their merch table, but yes, she was a little bouncy on stage. She might have just been excited/nervous/whatever because it was their first show on the tour and in her home country. I know both her and Mario, the other lead singer, both told me that they were nervous. I was glad to see that so many people seemed to enjoy their set. Hopefully that means that they will be back again.

As you said, Epica's set was very similar to their PP set, only they replaced about 1/2 the songs with tracks of the new album. Still a very awesome set though and I dug what I heard of the new album enough to buy it. :headbang:

One of the amusing things about the show that comes to mind: Both Mark and Simone had fans in front of them, I guess to get that windblown hair look. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, that was kindda funny. I thought maybe they just didn't want their hair in their mouth while they were trying to sing after they had been head banging. Of course the whole band moves around a lot, so it probably helps them keep cool too.

:lol: Yeah, that was kindda funny. I thought maybe they just didn't want their hair in their mouth while they were trying to sing after they had been head banging. Of course the whole band moves around a lot, so it probably helps them keep cool too.

I should have known that you'd be there. Unfortunately, I've never met you so I couldn't introduce myself. I was actually pretty unique wearing the Archer shirt.

Jason

I should have known that you'd be there. Unfortunately, I've never met you so I couldn't introduce myself. I was actually pretty unique wearing the Archer shirt.

Jason

Haha! Yes, it is difficult to keep me away from a show where female lead singers are involved. :D I'm not sure if I saw you. I was mainly at the back bar or merch side and was wearing the Epica girlie-tee I bought at ProgPower last year, if that helps to pick me out from your memory, but I saw at least one or two other chicks with that shirt on, so I probably blended in a little more than you.

I was noticing your recent track listings display. Were you at the Queensryche show last night in Baltimore? You or I might have seen each other there? If not, then perhaps we will catch each other at Edguy at Jaxx next week. :kickass:

I was noticing your recent track listings display. Were you at the Queensryche show last night in Baltimore? You or I might have seen each other there? If not, then perhaps we will catch each other at Edguy at Jaxx next week. :kickass:

No, I don't get up to Baltimore much anymore. Having a wife and a kid does that. ;) I did manage to get to the Dream Theater show, tho.

I'm planning on being at the Edguy show. It would be nice to have someone to hang with, since none of my regular crowd showed up for the Epica show.

Jason

No, I don't get up to Baltimore much anymore. Having a wife and a kid does that. ;) I did manage to get to the Dream Theater show, tho.

I'm planning on being at the Edguy show. It would be nice to have someone to hang with, since none of my regular crowd showed up for the Epica show.

Jason

We were at the DT show at Pier XI. :D You also now have a PM. :kickass:

You two should also join me at Jaxx for Obituary on Tues!

I would consider it, but Tuesday is my birthday and I'm not exactly a big Obituary fan, so I will probably pass on that one. Thanks for the invite though. Have fun at the show.