cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
DEMONSPELL'S SONGS TO WATCH
BACK FROM SCHOOL EDITION
An Alliance Production
Written May 18-19, 2002

Greetings, devoted readers, if there are any of you left! I’m well aware that this is the first Songs To Watch in over a month, and some people have asked me whether I’d quit writing it. The truth can be owed to three factors: 1. my demanding exam schedule, now completed only to get a summer job working at my college’s law library J 2. an absence of new releases compounded with the fact I’ve listed over a hundred bands and close to a thousand songs 3. an admitted lack of enthusiasm for writing it as a result of the previous factors. But the concept is too good to abandon, and I would ideally hope for a return to regular biweekly installments and occasional specials. Oh yeah…fuck Star Wars! Spiderman can kiss my ass! J And now the songs.

Angra - Hunters And Prey, Mama: Less than a year after Rebirth, Angra attempts to capitalize on its momentum with yet another EP. As on Freedom Call, the title track is a definite standout. Latter song is a cover of one of the few 80s Genesis tunes I can tolerate (except for that ridiculous “ha-ha!” thing…)

Ashes You Leave - Momentary Eclipse Of Hope, The Passage Back To Life: Reader suggested Croatian doom metal act. Both of these songs feature the dark atmosphere and mournful vocal arrangements that fans of the genre live for. Latter track is modestly described on the band’s mp3.com site as “a doom anthem.” Judge for yourself, both songs are available there.

Attention Deficit - Scapula, Fly Pelican Fly: Last year’s The Idiot King gained much attention for its deft and offbeat instrumentals and its politically satirical song titles. These track are from the first album by the accomplished and unlikely trio of Skolnick, Manring, and Alexander. Former track features some eerie sections, while the latter is a lengthy mood piece.

Dimension X Project - Intrigue, Nothing's Changed: Also known simply as Dimension X, this is a promising unsigned progressive metal act. The latter song contains an especially impressive instrumental section, with great use of piano. Vocals are much deeper than most in this genre, and the band avoids obvious comparisons. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Evereve - Stormbirds, Where No Shadows Fell: This band is well-praised among doom metal fans, so I thought I would give them a try. Former song features vocals from Tom Sedotschenko, who unfortunately committed suicide in 1999. Latter song from Regret sees the band going in a more electronic direction, but still a worthy listen.

Falconer - Decadence Of Dignity, Busted To The Floor: Chapters From A Vale Forlorn has received mixed reviews, some have claimed it too closely follows the debut. The former track, available at www.metalblade.com, is a typically energetic power metal track. However, the latter track finds the band branching out a bit, sounding like Deep Purple, complete with a Hammond organ hook.

Farmakon - Flavoured Numerology, My Sanctuary In Solitude: Unsigned band featuring members of this site’s Opeth forum. This band plays what could loosely be described as progressive melodic death. Vocals range from growls to a deep register. Both songs contain some devastating instrumental passages, and are available at www.mp3.com

Immortal - One By One, Beyond The North Waves: Enough with those covers, guys, you look like the Manowar of black metal. J Seriously, many are calling Sons Of Northern Darkness their most potent effort yet, and it finds the band moving further away from the gratuitous blastbeats of early albums, particularly on the eight minute latter track, easily the most mature and atmospheric thing I’ve heard from them.

Insomnium - The Elder, In The Halls Of Awaiting: Reader suggested band that has a lot in common with Amorphis, including lyrics inspired by Finnish poetry and a sound that borrows equally from melodic death and progressive rock. However, their material is far from derivative, and both of these songs contain some excellent music, particularly on the epic title track. Former track available on official site.

Kaipa - Leaving The Horizon, Folke's Final Decision: Originally a late 70s Swedish prog act that featured a young Roine Stolt (Transatlantic/Flower Kings), the group has returned with Notes From The Past, which despite the title is not a compilation. Former song is a 14-minute track featuring some impressive instrumental passages, while the latter is a great instrumental, available at www.metalexpress.no

Manitou (Finland) - Face The Snake, Brother's Promise: Not to be confused with the defunct Norwegian act of the same name (which included Spiral Architect’s vocalist, like what I’ve heard from them), they are also a progressive metal act. Former track is an addictive rocker, while the latter is a lengthy track with some instrumental sections reminiscent of Dream Theater. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Mind's Eye - My Kindred Soul, Courage Within: Swedish progressive act whose latest album contains perhaps the most pretentious title in history: A Work Of Art. Does the music live up? Of course not, although the latter does contain some memorable sections and is a pleasant listen. However, the former track is a boring ballad, and those vocal harmonies annoy me to no end.

Morgana Lefay - Sorrow Calls, In The Court Of The Crimson King: Known for their aggressive power metal, the band has recently reformed after troubles with alcohol and their former label and members. Former track from Sanctified finds them bringing elements of doom into their sound, while the latter is NOT a cover of the King Crimson classic (blasphemy for stealing the title!)

Nightwish - Everdream, Phantom Of The Opera: First Tarja announces she’s going on hiatus, and now Tuomas is indicating that he may continue the band without her (read all about it in Career Suicide Magazine.) Oh yeah, they also have a new album Century Child coming out. Latter track from the advance single of the former track is a cover of the play’s theme (not the Maiden song), which finds new bassist Marco Heitala playing the phantom’s role. His role in the band and departure from Sinergy is a story in itself…

Nocturnal Rites – Dark Secret, Faceless God: Two years after their successful reinvention as an aggressive power metal act, they return with Shadowland. The latter track continues in the same direction, with a memorable lead riff. Former track is a guilty pleasure from their early days, featuring some Maidenish guitar runs.

Nonexist - Faith, The Devil Incarnate: This beats out Dimension Zero and Bloodbath for melodic death side project of the year, featuring former Arch Enemy vocalist Johan Liiva (am I the only one who doesn’t care for Angela and Wages Of Sin?) and Andromeda guitarist Johan Reinholdz, who brings a sense of accomplished musicianship to the proceedings, particularly on the former track’s instrumental break.

Payne's Gray - Moonlight Waters, Riding The Shantak: German band that released one rare album, 1995’s Lovecraftian concept Kadath Decoded, and one even rarer EP Infinity before disappearing. The epic former track is a bit more accessible than most of the album, featuring some foreboding instrumental passages, but still dark and morose. Latter track is a bizarre instrumental.

Rain Fell Within – The Child Beneath, In The Knowing Of You: One of many acts on the Dark Symphonies roster that has received some encouraging reviews, this is a female-fronted doom act. The former track is a showcase for the highly operatic vocals, while the latter from Refuge shows the band going in a direction sure to please fans of After Forever and similar bands.

Ram-Zet - Queen, Sound Of Tranquility: One of Century Media’s more esoteric recent signings, this band plays doom metal with heavy avant-garde and Eastern leanings. Both tracks contain interesting vocal arrangements and a dark atmosphere. Former track available at www.centurymedia.com

Reading Zero - New Worlds, And Never To Return: One of a number of independent progressive metal acts from the US I think deserve a proper contract immediately. This one recently secured the opening slot at Progpower 3.0. The music brings to mind Queensryche and Fates Warning, particularly on the accomplished former track, available at www.mp3.com Latter song features a long intro and an abnormal vocal arrangement.

Michael Romeo - Psychotic Episode, Masque Of The Red Death: Instrumental album by the Symphony X guitarist. Although this album comes closest to the secondhand Yngwie accusations he is often accused of, fans of the band will undoubtedly be impressed by his solos here. Unfortunately, the songs are sabotaged by the presence of a drum machine.

Sentenced - No One There, Excuse Me While I Kill Myself: Finland’s most cheerful band’s latest joyful album The Cold White Light is sure to bring smiles to fans everywhere. The latter track shows that they still haven’t ran out of suicide anthems, or lost their metallic edge, as this is heavier than most of their last two. The former advance single brings to mind Crimson (the album), but with better use of piano and improved vocals.

Star One - Sandrider, Starchild: True, there isn’t that significant a difference between this and Ayreon (at least on Universal Migrator pt. 2), which leads me to wonder why Arjen didn’t release it under this name. But the material does not disappoint, especially on the former track, in which Dan Swano does all of the verses, and the lengthy closing track, which features another superb performance from Russell Allen. An alternate version of the latter appears on the bonus disc.

Steel - Say Goodbye To Love: Swano and Akerfeldt…cock rockers? The truth is out there! This was a one-off done during the Morningrise sessions as a backhanded tribute to everything wrong (or right, depending on your nostalgia factor) with 80s metal. This one salutes/mocks that most cringe-inducing tradition, the romantic power ballad, complete with the obligatory wah-wah solo and a hilariously exaggerated falsetto.

Superior - Ultra, Breeze Of Insanity: The German progressive metal act returns with the concept album Ultima Ratio, although the storyline appears more in the elaborate Flash movie on the official site than the lyrics. Former track features some excellent keyboard work, while the latter has a soaring chorus. Should prove to be one of this year’s most overlooked albums.

Tiamat – The Return Of The Son Of Nothing, Love Is As Good As Soma: Johan Edlund and company return with the provocatively titled Judas Christ, which has received many negative reviews. However, these tracks contain the atmosphere of previous releases and are enough to keep the album from being a failure. Trivia note: Former song is named after a working title of Pink Floyd’s masterpiece Echoes.

Devin Townsend - Unity, Soul Driven: Infinity is perhaps the oddest of his releases, balancing abrasive and dissonant music with some oddball pop tendencies…closing track’s title Noisy Pink Bubbles sums this juxtaposition up. Former track features a passage with a wordless vocal and persistent keyboard figure as its hook, while the latter is a powerful statement of intent.

Winds – Remnants Of Beauty, Continuance: First, a warning about deceptive marketing practices. Their debut full-length Reflections Of The I contains last year’s EP Of Entity And Mind as a bonus, presumably to compensate for the fact that there is less than 40 minutes of new material on the disc. This would be inexcusable if not for the quality of the material, an absorbing bit of symphonic abstraction closer to prog than the band’s origins in black metal. Makes a great companion to Arcturus’ latest, and features a brilliant cover by Travis Smith.

Wolf - I Am The Devil, Venom: Norwegian metal act that can only be described as being over the top, both in terms of image and music. Former track features tons of Maidenesque guitar runs, delivered at a frantic pace. However, their “vocalist” ruins the song here with an inept and histrionic delivery. Latter song is more restrained, but less commanding of attention.

Thus ends this chapter. Rumours of this column’s demise have been greatly exaggerated…by myself.

this shit sucks you need to put some music downloads on your web