Escape From New York-another pointless remake.

Jul 14, 2002
Stratford, CT
Visit site
Hollywood is keeping up thier endless list of useless remakes. This was on the SCIFI.com newswire.

New Line Makes Its Escape

New Line has won the bidding war for a remake of Escape From New York, with 300 star Gerard Butler attached and Neal Moritz producing through his Original Films banner, Variety reported.

The studio closed the deal on March 15, three days after CAA began shopping the package to studios in the wake of Butler's emergence as a rising star, thanks to last weekend's smash opening of 300.

Ken Nolan (Black Hawk Down) is attached to write the script. Executive producers include Original's Ori Marmur; Ron Halpern and Frederic Sichler of Canal Plus, which held the remake rights; and John Carpenter, who directed the original 1981 Escape From New York.

Butler would portray Snake Plissken, the convict and war hero who's sent into a futuristic New York City—which has been turned into a giant maximum-security prison—to rescue the president after his plane is knocked down by terrorists. The original was set in 1998.

Kurt Russell played Plissken in the original movie and again in Carpenter's 1996 sequel, Escape From Los Angeles.
spacer.gif

:Smug: :rolleyes:

*scratches head* What's with all the pointless remakes? On that topic, is the remake of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' worth watching? Looked good.

*scratches head* What's with all the pointless remakes? On that topic, is the remake of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' worth watching? Looked good.

Supposedly there's no more original ideas left. I think they just need new film makers with fresh ideas.

I actually like it a lot. Much better than the original although this will get my castrated for saying. There's one scene at the end that's burned into my memory. The prequel however is total crap.

The Dawn of the Dead remake is great too.

NO NO NO NO NO! Fuck! Just make a third Escape movie with Kurt Russell.

Will Snake still get to land the glider plane onto the World Trade Center?

Doubtful, I had heard just after 9/11 they were actually going to remove the towers from the original DVD. Which is completely retarded and a pretty big plot point to delete.

I don't know if they ever did it or not.

on the topic of the TCM remake. YES, it is worht checking out. not a bad film.

The Dawn of the Dead remake is great too.
I liked it a lot.
I think the original is ok.

I hate Day Of The Dead though, or whatever it's called.

I heard that someone wanted to remake The Mermaid In A Manhole, but there wasn't enough interest in it.

I love the original Night Of The Living Dead. I thought it was made really well, and the acting was excellent. The remake was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Land Of The Dead was pretty bad

Except the acting was terrible. It was like they got shitty actors to read the original script.

The atmosphere of the original was non-existent in the remake. That also pissed me off

well, its not like Barbara could have been at fault.

"OK! Now, what you do here is look frightened... ok... ACTION! very good, now.. what i want you to do is scream and get slapped by the black man... annd... ACTION!... ok, thats a wrap for the day."

I also think having the girl just leave as if it were nothing, took away from the desperate, no way out, situation of the original.