ESP / LTD ... what's wrong ??

Nicky_M16

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Today we see a lot of LTD guitars shit, but the ESP are no longer promoted (like in website), are some of the numerous LTD models finally good enough to be the 1800$ instrument of our life ?

Can we consider the LTD as a good value ?

Because my worry is not being laughed at onstage...

LTD is a good beginner guitar, not even made in Japan (except for the most expensive LTDs), though you can get a Custom ESP with a LTD logo (why would you do that though...)

ESP did produce some nice US Guitars when they were based out of New York, but I prefer Jacksons.

ESP has more consistency problems from guitar to guitar, from what I've seen and played.

Their Japanese Custom Shop stuff now is pretty good, but as expensive as USA Jackson Custom Shop stuff.... They tend to rip Jackson off a lot, but Jackson's done their share of that too.

Overall, it doesn't matter what brand is on the headstock, where the guitar is made (to some extent), or what people say about what you play.

If you are happy with a crappy Plywood Korean Import, and if you like the way it plays, then you're good to go.

Don't let anyone dictate which guitars you should have or dont, cause if you like it and love it, that's all that really matters in the end.

hmmmm sometimes I think it's good to hear what people would buy.... well I know the korean ibanez are great, my firt korean ibanez at 500$ is even easier to play than a 800$ one... but if I want to spend like 1200$ for my next one, I think I'd like to know which brand makes it best at this price.

I think you just have to go to some shops and play em. Each person's different. Personally, I like my Jackson KE-2 (US$1050). I have not had the oppotunity to play any ESPs though.

I like a few of the Ibanez models, but I've seen too many problems with them in the long run to actually drop that kind of cash.

Most common probls with Ibenhad: Soft frets, require fret levels more often, trem posts pulling out... necks warping on some models...

Most common problems with ltd/esp... lousy neck pocket fit, poor factory setup, unfinised fretwork...
These are just common problems, I've seen first hand...

Your experience may vary.

I have an ESP - LTD M-250 the thing rocks it sounds really good it feels good to play. And no -one laughs at me ...
The only complaint is the trem .... its really rough .... its even brand new .... grrrrrr.
I have to sand down he saddles a couple times on my E string.

I was really impressed with the ESP LTD F series .... they look really bad ass ... and they sound amazing.

The good ones will have the Duncan or EMG pick-ups they do sell a cheapy model just like Ibanez or Jackson. You get what you pay for....unless ya find a great deal on EBAY like I did.

Originally posted by WikkidGurl
The only complaint is the trem .... its really rough .... its even brand new .... grrrrrr.

Once the springs have stretched in after a few months of use you'll notice this stifness goes away. If you can't wait, go down to a music store and see if they have any older springs (not too old, but used) and get a set. Should alleviate your problem straight away

You usually get what you pay for. I've played a few really nice LTDs, but just like with Fender and Gibson, I have to try a few or more to find one I like...

As for the trem, is it rough or stiff? If it's rough, it may be a bad blade on the trem or a rough post... this should be correctable with a little work.

I hate ibanez.,..i bought an RG and the damn Floyd rose is fucked up,.,,it turns out the neck is slightly bent.,.,.i also hate guitar center for selling it to me:mad: :mad:

Yeah, watch out for those guitars at GC...

Make sure to inspect it well, and you have a 30 return policy... it's wise to use it.

HEY THAT'S TRUE ! Sometimes guitars from the same brand and model ARE VERY DIFFERENT between 2 retailers or a few years of gap. I mean, I have bought my cheap ibanez RG270dx when there wasn't the 7string rush... so it's hmmm 4 years ago. And my sister bought the same guitar. IT IS NOT THE SAME, the feeling when you play it... it's fatter on the new ones, the frets are more difficult to handle and the neck is fatter. I have been surprised at the first place by this RG because it was DAMN EASY TO PLAY.
One of my friend bought the RG520 last year. Which is supposed to be better. It is... but let me tell you. We were 3 to test both guitars, and we all agree that the cheap RG270 bought 4 years ago IS DAMN EASIER TO PLAY than the other who cost more than twice the price. Even the owner of the 520 agreed, especially him, since he was the one who spent the bucks...

So if you are the man who manufactured my guitar 4 years ago, PLEASE DO IT AGAIN ON AND ON... AND TEACH YOUR SECRET. Because to much guitars suck. Really...

That's why I like Jackson USA so much... I know I can buy one online, no matter what year it is, and if it's in the described condition, I'll be happy with how it'll play.