EU: Ampeg VL-502 MK1

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys,

I hope, I'll never regret it - but I decided to sell my VL-502.

For anyone not knowing this amp:
In the '90s, Lee Jackson got together with Ampeg to do a guitar amp-series. The amp is based on the circuitry of a JCM 800 with Lee Jacksons favourite mods. Looking for a hot-rodded JCM 800? Buy this amp instead and save a lot of cash. Zakk Wylde used the VL-1002 on "No More Tears".

The VL-series came in two versions: The 50-watt 502 and the 100-watt VL-1002 (I think, they also build a 1003 with 3 channels - but it's pretty rare). Both's tone is pretty similar (I had both) and both have a built-in ATTENUATOR!!! It's easy to get a great sound at low volumes. The VL-series comes with a mid-sweep-knob, too - I really liked that one. You can easily shape the tone-characteristic with it.

The EL34's on this one are about 1 1/2 years old, but I'm pretty sure they'll last for another few months minimum. The amp sounds fresh and huge.

My 502 is from the first series (with white piping), which is more sought-after, than the later series (with purple piping). People say, the first series is more reliable. The amp itself is in an awesome shape. Only one scratch (see pic) and a bit of good ol' dust :D

I'm asking for 500€, but feel free to send me reasonable offers. I'm not opposed to trades, although I could really need the cash atm.

Last but not least, pictures. Normally I try to avoid posting half-decent pics from my iphone, but I forgot to take my DSLR with me.

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

Cheers,
joe

i had a vl-1002 for a few years

the tone was great, but it was unreliable as crap and broke down on me constantly

even after a full-retube, molex connector mod, and new power transformer, it still didn't work right. i finally sold it to some kid for $400 and bought a krank rev jr...best purchase ever.

i'm sorry if it came off as though my initial post was disparaging these amps in any way...i absolutely loved the features and tone of my vl-1002, but was unlucky enough to have one that just wouldn't work properly. i think whoever owned it previously did some stupid shit with it, and i know for a fact that i did myself as well.

if i hadn't had the reliability issues, that thing would still be sitting next to me today!

Maybe you had the second version?!? I read a lot about these amps breaking down constantly etc.
Ampeg really fucked up the MK2's (they had purple binding I think).

Mine is the first version - so ... BUY IT ALREADY ;)

Played one of these in a music store and wow for that old school type sound with more gain then is useable i mean more then most high gain heads was going for 250 in canada but it was pretty beat up coolest thing is the built in attenuator

someone buy this amp ;p