circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Evemaster – MMIV Lacrimae Mundi
Crash Music Inc. – CMU61146 – May 31st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

eve_lacrimaemundi-2004.jpg

Originally, Evemaster released Lacrimae Mundi back in 1998, but decided to revisit it – and subsequently re-record it – for a current audience, which is why last year prefaces the remodeled title, MMIV Lacrimae Mundi. The duo embrace blackened death metal wholeheartedly, and do a fairly good job of illustrating how it should be iterated. However, several excerpts reminded me of Enslaved, which is why I’m reluctant to fully accept them as is.

Even though the first incarnation of MMIV Lacrimae Mundi was unleashed way before Below the Lights was even a concept, it still doesn’t nullify the fact that I heard, and worshipped, the latter first. The parallels are seriously uncanny. When the chorus of “Whispers” tramples your ears – with its utilization of Kjellson-esque black vox which intertwine with background, clean vocalizations – you’ll fully realize why I compare Evemaster to the brilliant Norwegians. “Embraced” and “Lacrimae Mundi” don’t do much to sway my stated opinion either. But, frankly, I like the direction that the band chose, and the eight tracks on their latest opus are well developed, if not a tad too late. That is, this particular style has been driven into the ground, though I admit that it appeases me every time. Funnily enough, the closer is a cover of Dio’s “We Rock,” which is humorous in and of itself. I also chuckled when Dimmu Borgir decided to cover Accept’s “Metal Heart”; they proved they could do it, but it just didn’t make too much sense. At any rate, MMIV Lacrimae Mundi blasts for nearly forty minutes and most – if not all – compositions are viable contenders.

Evemaster, as of now, are definitely viewed as underdogs in a much-explored subgenre. With this record, though, they’ve shone their abilities, and I’ll support their following (godless) endeavor. This isn’t exactly second-rate, but the aforementioned statement must only be uttered after considering the year these songs were cut: 1998. Not too shabby.

7.5/10

Official Evemaster Website
Official Crash Music Inc. Website