Even Vast - Dawning Gloom

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Even Vast - Dawning Gloom
2002 - Painkiller Records
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Even Vast web site
Go to the Painkiller Records web site.

Just a quickie on this two-track sampler from goth-tinged female-fronted doomsters Even Vast. The two tracks showcased on this CD appear to pretty much provide an accurate representation of where these miserable metallers are coming from - 'Dawning Gloom' is a slow, plodding, doomy trawl through the sweetly melodic laments of the pleasingly-voiced lead singer, while atmospheric keyboard touches in the background keep the atmosphere dark. However, the track seems to be built around only one or two guitar riffs that sound quite similar to each other anyway, and after about three minutes of this whithout a change of pace, you get a little itchy for the song to end.

'Scared For The Last Time' begins more promisingly, with a mournful piano melody opening the track before the vocals slide smoothly in. The other instruments in the song appear to gradually insinuate themselves into the mix, so that unless you are consciously listening out for them, you wouldn't notice the point where they became clearly audible. After two minutes though, the unchanged slow pace is again becoming a little too familiar. And nothing really appears to change from there on.

Musically speaking, this CD is professional, and effective in doing what it tries to do. It's certainly a relaxing, downbeat listen - more of a chill-out album than a true balls-out rocker - but maybe the lack of ambition and adventurousness in the song structures lets it down a bit. Let's have some tempo changes in future, eh?

6.5/10

Nooo I LOVE THIS BAND AND I THINK that DAWNING GLOOM is GOOD SINGLE I HOPE THE SAME IN THE NEW ALBUM!!!

Dimitri