MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
EVERGREY HAVE SIGNED WITH STEAMHAMMER/SPV

New album T O R N out in early September

Following intense and very constructive discussions, Steamhammer/SPV have announced their future collaboration with Swedish dark melodic metal act, Evergrey. The deal includes not only the group's brand-new studio album, Torn, which will arrive at the stores at the beginning of September, but also Evergrey's complete back catalogue. Evergrey mastermind Tom S. Englund is looking forward to a productive cooperation with Steamhammer, explaining: "After long and intense negotiations, we feel that we have arrived at optimum conditions for everybody involved. We are confident that Evergrey will continue to grow artistically under the terms of this contract, that SPV will enjoy our cooperation and – this is definitely the most important aspect – that our fans will thoroughly benefit from the new deal."

The first stage of this ambitious target will see the release of Evergrey's new studio album, Torn, at the beginning of September, featuring eleven compositions, described by Englund as a "modern mix of In Search Of Truth and Recreation Day". "The tracks are all guitar-oriented and very atmospheric. They have exactly the sound that our fans expect from us." According to Englund, the slightly more experimental direction of Evergrey's previous release, Monday Morning Apocalypse, has given way again to old strengths and virtues. "Two years ago we needed an album with a slightly different approach and an expensive producer, just to find out how that sort of thing works. It was the right album at the time, but now we have returned to our typical trademarks." This is one of the reasons why the tracks on Torn were self-produced by Englund together with drummer Jonas Ekdahl. In addition, the band has a new bassist, Fredrik Larsson having been replaced by former Stratovarius musician Jari Kainulainen.

Since the band arrived on the scene in 1998, Evergrey have brought out six studio albums and one live cut. All of them made the top 20 in their native Sweden and the last two made the top 10 (no. 6 and 3, respectively). On top of that, their DVD was number 1 for four weeks and nominated for a Grammy in Sweden. The band has toured around the globe several times, together with In Flames, Nevermore, Throwdown, Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom and Iced Earth, among others. Along with Torn, their new contract with Steamhammer/SPV includes the band's complete back catalogue, so top-quality reissues featuring a selection of bonus tracks are likely in future. "There is so much additional material for each album that we could theoretically re-release it on an extra DVD. Whatever we manage to do – premium reissues are certainly a possibility."

This is great news! It's going to be a tough wait until September. My favorite part of this... "modern mix of In Search Of Truth and Recreation Day". The initial clips definitely confirm this trend. It's great to finally have a confirmed release date. Looking forward to the next album teaser!

This is great news! It's going to be a tough wait until September. My favorite part of this... "modern mix of In Search Of Truth and Recreation Day". The initial clips definitely confirm this trend. It's great to finally have a confirmed release date. Looking forward to the next album teaser!

Yep, that is exacty what I have been saying since they started posting clips of the recording. It is definately a good mix betweeon ISoT and RD. It is almost like Tom kept seeing me post that opinion and was brainwashed to say that lol! My only gripe is waiting until Septemeber, no more "Summer" release anymore huh?

Congrats guys, I'm proud of you. Reissues of the back catalog, huh? Looks like I have to spend even MORE money on Evergrey..lol.

You know, Essense, I actually thought about you when I read that bit about the reissues knowing that you've recently been collecting! I'm sure if there is bonus material included that it will be well worth it... Evergrey has never disappointed in that department. I'll probably have to start my own "I just caved so bad" thread when they come out. :lol:

Back OT: I am sooooooo happy to hear that a deal has been inked. As others have said the wait until September will be excruciating, but hopefully the May, June, July and August trailers will help tide us over (hint, hint) :headbang:

Great news! Can't wait! :D
Hopefully I'll have the money to buy all the reissues then, must have the bonus material!

Must find a job.. hehe.

Great news guys!

Hope it works out great for all parts involved!
A re issue of SDT with better sound would be great! And its really good to finally have a release date even though its quite some time away... But hopefully i will have a new song on the setlist in karlstad:headbang:

You know, Essense, I actually thought about you when I read that bit about the reissues knowing that you've recently been collecting! I'm sure if there is bonus material included that it will be well worth it... Evergrey has never disappointed in that department. I'll probably have to start my own "I just caved so bad" thread when they come out. :lol:

Back OT: I am sooooooo happy to hear that a deal has been inked. As others have said the wait until September will be excruciating, but hopefully the May, June, July and August trailers will help tide us over (hint, hint) :headbang:

Hahaha, I'm glad my expensive exploits have made it into your memories. Yeah, even if they had NO bonus material, I'd have to buy them solely because I just collect everything.

This is great news. Finally things seem to be moving along, and the reissues sound interesting indeed. But for now, TORN!!! Just a few months away :)

Along with Torn, their new contract with Steamhammer/SPV includes the band's complete back catalogue, so top-quality reissues featuring a selection of bonus tracks are likely in future. "There is so much additional material for each album that we could theoretically re-release it on an extra DVD. Whatever we manage to do – premium reissues are certainly a possibility."

I don't like this part, i already own the back catalogue... what is wrong with releasing a B-side compilation?

The Dark Discovery definitely needs remixing.
It sounds like shit compared to the other albums even though the quality of the music is still great.

I agree with Sdob: maybe TDD needs remixing: the other albums are fine, but the sound of TDD can be better ;-) ...but anyway...September is far away, but:

- 2nd of September is my birthday, so i have already selected the gift!!! :-D
- i hope that in the summer festivals (waiting for Ey here in Italy!) our favorite band will play some of the new songs.

Oh this is great news!!
BUT the wait for TORN until september... f*** i really need this album bad.
The reissues thing for me is not such a good idea... better to have a bsides compilation cuz:
1) I already own all the albums
2) I am happy with the quality of all previous material (I don't think they need remixing/remastering)
3) Yes, I want as many evergrey songs as I can get BUT I don't want to spend 20x6€ again just for bonus tracks
4) Reissues usually go down in price after a while (megadeth's are 5€ now!!!!) which is sad cuz the content is so valuable (to me at least)

Oh well I like the idea, especially as I don't have the limited edition Recreation Day and The Inner Circle as yet (I had just downloaded the bonus tracks), but now that there's the opportunity, how about MORE bonus tracks on Recreation Day, eh??