Ex-AC/DC Drummer CHRIS SLADE Calls MALCOLM YOUNG 'Greatest Rhythm Guitarist Ever Born

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to The Pulse Of Radio, former AC/DC drummer Chris Slade has commented on the recent news that the band's co-founder and rhythm guitarist, Malcolm Young, was stepping away from the group due to ill health. Slade told U.K.'s Rhythm magazine, "It’s terrible to hear about Malcolm. I knew he was ill. He’s been ill for a long time, but I think it’s come to a head by the sounds of things."Slade praised his former bandmate, adding, "I’ve spoken to other guitarists about this — he must be the greatest rhythm guitarist ever born. Even Angus [Young] says he’s a better guitarist. He makes the drummer’s job so easy; he’s a metronome."Slade played with AC/DC from 1989 until 1994, exiting when longtime drummer Phil Rudd returned to the lineup. He played on the 1990 album "The Razor's Edge" and the 1993 song "Big Gun".Slade's other credits in his nearly 50-year career include Tom Jones, Gary Numan, MANFRED MANN, URIAH HEEP, David Gilmour, THE FIRM, ASIA and many othersEarlier this month, AC/DC confirmed widespread reports that Malcolm was stepping down due to an undisclosed illness, with some outlets reporting that he suffered a stroke.The legendary Australian act stated that it will "continue to make music," with recording sessions scheduled for next month. Plans for a 40th-anniversary tour remain unclear.

More...