examples of spectacular bass playing?

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
A friend of ours has a high school son who plays bass. I'd like to make him a sampler of awesome bass playing from bands he may not have heard. If you could pick a few songs that display the best in bass technique (that's easily heard over the other instruments), what would they be? I'm thinking of a few examples of just over-the-top dextrous technique, through a few songs that contain slow, smooth evocative bass lines. What bass playing gives you goosebumps when you hear it?

(Note, I want to include stuff that's also just plain pleasant to listen to, so I probably won't include, oh, say Arsis - I'm leaning more towards mainstream power / prog metal and hard rock.)

Ken

Stu Hamm is the first name that comes to mind, although he's not quite in the metal genre. His "Radio Free Albemuth" is fantastic, as is much of his live work backing satriani/g3.

(Oh, and Ken -- happy belated pi-day! Another math prof here....)

1218832650_untitled.jpg

/thread

When I think of stellar bass players in metal I think of Iron Maiden, Gamma Ray, Hibria. Others I would also show him are Grand Funk Railroad, David Bowie (early 70s stuff), Cream, Rush, or Jethro Tull maybe.

Check out the bass tap solo:

Last edited by a moderator:
John Myung - Dream Theater
Sean Andrews from Redemption
Geddy Lee - Rush
Chris Squire from Yes

...to name a few of my fave bass players....

Are you kidding me? The bass playing in Seventh Wonder's stuff is absolutely FANTASTIC.

I have to agree with you on this one, Andreas is just flat out awesome, also check out Mindflow's Ricardo Winandy, or Myrath's Anis Jouini

There is Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten. Both are freaking primo!
I think that Steve Harris from Maiden, Ellefson from Megadeth, Burton from Metallica are good places to start. They all have notable chops. I'd also nominate Marco Panichi from Hibria, because he is just plain bad ass!

So i take it that you're trying to stray from the death metal world? There is some amazing talent there too!!

Alex Webster-Cannibal Corpse
Erlend Caspersen-Blood Red Throne
Mike Flores-Origin
...just to name a few.

Good Luck!

Billy Sheehan. Stu Hamm. That chick that plays with Jeff Beck.

And if you wanna throw some heavy stuff in there... Atheist! There was Roger Patterson (RIP) back in the day, and Tony Choy ever since. Both INCREDIBLE players. Then you got Jeroen Paul Thesseling from Obscura and formerly of Pestilence. VERY amazing fretless player. Really adds a cool atmosphere to Obscura's Cosmogenesis album (one of my favorites of 2008)