Exciter -- Blood of Tyrants

Insania

As Good As Dead
Jun 7, 2002
Sacramento
Visit site
Clearly an old gem of a band, I'm curious about your thoughts on the newer material, this one and The Dark Command, both with this Jacque Belanger on vox.

I like these two albums more and more every time I listen. The music structure seems similar to the old style -- a single, simple heavy riff that is carried throughout the song -- THE reason why Long Live the Loud is one of my top five albums in metal of all time. Old Destruction had the same concept; if you liked the riff, you get an entire song full of it. It allows for several minutes of non-stop headbanging...:p

My favorite newer song is probably Brutal Warning, I love the vox highs. I'll even take Belanger over Beehler. I didn't care much for Malnati.

I understand they play tonight, in New Hampshire, wonder if any of you on the right coast could report...

I'm going to have to check them out again. I've been hungering for something new that's just pure metal. I've been listening to a lot of doom and stoner stuff for the past couple of years, and it's time for a change.
I saw Exciter on either the Violence & Force or Long Live The Loud tour and they rocked (opening for Mercyful Fate & Motorhead). If I remember right, the drummer sang which I thought was just amazing considering what else he was doing. I remember the guitarist and the bassist both playing flying v's and doing their little intro riffs then both propping the v's over their legs and just ripping. I don't think there was even a mic stand on the stage. That had to be close to 20 years ago.....ugh.

I toy around on our drummer's set during breaks and although I can hold my own to a point, I can't even comprehend playing what he was playing AND singing too - and he pulled it off live. One of those stand out concert memories.

And yes, I'm older than dirt....uh....I mean old school.

Blood of Tyrants is a very cool release, I only wish the production had been better.
"Rule With an Iron Fist" and "Metal Crusaders" are my faves, especially live, just wonder why :D