Trax
1. Voice of Damnation
2. On Pestilent Winds...
3. ...From Morbid Ruins
4. Mayhem
5. Poisoned By Darkness
6. Bestial Slaughter
7. Demons Rush
Yes, yes, and YES. If anyone can capture the raw, ferocious sound of old school death metal bands such as Asphyx and Possessed, it is Excoriate. Hailing from Germany, these talented musicians released three demos and one full length, which I am adoringly posting on my blog. This album will kick your ass again and again. The ominous howling winds in the intro, Voice of Damnation, leads perfectly into On Pestilent Winds, which remains today as my favorite death metal song of all time. The guitar work is impressive, the vocals are frantic, angry, almost out of breath at times, and the drumming is just superb. The song fades into From Morbid Ruins, which sports some rather amusing vocal work (some have argued that the vocals bring the band down, which I can understand, as at at times they can provoke a smirk). Following is a cover of Sepultura's Mayhem, which the Brazilian thrashers would be proud of. Next is the instrumental Poisoned by Darkness, and the closing tracks, Bestial Slaughter and Demons Rush, are not as impressive as the rest of the songs on the album, but still slay just as mercilessly. It's a shame that Excoriate is split-up, because now many fans are longing for a new album that will probably never come.

Do I recommend this album to everyone? No. I recommend it to anyone fond of old school death metal, or death with thrash influences. Technical death metal fans will probably not be able to appreciate this.